Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Suitable Person

Our Co-chair is currently the Ofsted contact and happy to be. Should I be, as managing supervisor? I am not worried about being if I don't have to be, but am worried that I should be and if Ofsted come we should have done something that we haven't? Does that make sense??

I was new to the setting in September and a PVI one at that, so am not sure how it works, as the Co-chairs are technically the employers.

Thanks

Clare

Our Chair is the Ofsted contact and has been for 8 years or so. Not sure what happened before that. We too are PVI and as the employer I think the committee should be in case there is a complaint about the manager. Also it is one less thing for the manager to do :o . Don't think you will have any trouble over it as we haven't and on some inspections the Chair hasn't even been able to attend during the inspection.

Having worked in a pre-school a while ago, I can agree there is no problem with Chair being contact -actually they should be, technically, as they are the employer. Only problem I can see might happen is that all mail from OFSTED goes to them rather than the setting. Something important might not get to you or, if Chair changes, new chair may not be good at passing mail on!

Sue

Also it is one less thing for the manager to do :o . Don't think you will have any trouble over it as we haven't and on some inspections the Chair hasn't even been able to attend during the inspection.

This is exactly what I wanted to hear lol, I looked at the forms for changing to me, and they have just sat on my to do list.....co-chair is happy to be if I am happy for her to still be, which I am :-)

You have had the full suitable person check though haven't you? Your talk of forms there spooked me somewhat so excuse me if you think "of course, what do you take us for". Although the Chair is the Ofsted contact, the manager needs to have the Ofsted suitable person check and, often, interview, unless the Chair is on the premises (and working with the children?).

Very good point, Holly!!

Hi I haven't had an interview yet, but we were due our ofsted in December, so people have said that it would probably happen when we are inspected? They have the information on me as a suitable person yes, but not heard anything otherwise.

Clare x

I have heard some people say before that they would have their suitable person interview at the same time as inspection although I don't know of anyone who it has actually happened to. The last suitable person interview that happened in our setting took all morning and our inspections usually take two mornings so I don't know whether it would be feasible to do them together.

When I was leaving the setting the new leader sent all the paperwork in but 6 months later had not heard anything.. I suggested they call seems they lost it and she had to do a second set and they were out to interview her within 2 weeks of ringing them.. may be worth a call to make sure they have the correct information on file...

In our case it did not matter as I was still working at the setting and did not leave until I knew she had been checked..

Inge

When I was leaving the setting the new leader sent all the paperwork in but 6 months later had not heard anything.. I suggested they call seems they lost it and she had to do a second set and they were out to interview her within 2 weeks of ringing them.. may be worth a call to make sure they have the correct information on file...

In our case it did not matter as I was still working at the setting and did not leave until I knew she had been checked..

Inge

Thanks Inge, I think I will as like your situation, last term the previous supervisor was still there while I was getting used to things anyway, but she retired at Christmas, so now it really is down to me. So will chase them

Thanks all

Clare