Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Creative Devt

Ok, here's the situation..

I have a child in my setting who is incredibly creative with both natural and man made resources and construction, spontaneously makes pictures and faces with his fruit at snack time.

However he particiaptes very little in imaginative play and when he does utilise the role play it's to write menus, invitations etc. I have yet to see him play with the musical instruments and he doesn't play with small world or make up narratives. He was 4 in septmber and also attends another setting.

When I'm completing his learning and devt record he comes up at 40-60mths + for some and I'm unable to 'score' him on others which gives anunrealsitic result.

what do others do in this situation? I think I may have been looking at it a bit too long and am starting to question what I'm doing!!

Sam

When I'm completing his learning and devt record he comes up at 40-60mths + for some and I'm unable to 'score' him on others which gives an unrealsitic result.

I'm a bit confused by this - surely the result, if based on observational evidence will always be realistic - it's the picture of what he does or doesn't do!

You have everything from birth -60+ months to match his development against, so you can assess him?? Not sure what you mean by scoring here? Is he emerging in 40 - 60+ because if secure then he is very gifted but don't forget creativity is also about thinking outside the box and using your thinking to problem solve as much as representational work.

He may not be the same in every aspect of creative but that then tells you the areas to work with him on and encourage through modelling etc etc.

And he has 5 more terms until the end of FS!!

Cx

Perhaps he doesn't like doing the things that he doesn't do?

And it is acknowledged that development isn't consistent across the areas, so it needn't be within them either.

From what you are indicating, I would be cross referencing to CLL - does he enjoy stories? Does he understand the structure of a story, can he predict what the ending might be etc.

I didn't explain myself very well at all did I. Head cold, poor excuse but it muffles my brain cells slightly.

What I was trying to say was, this little boy is very creative but only with things he can make; he is writing very well but does very little imaginative play and has shown no interest in the musical side of creativity. I don't have any concerns as he is coming up as 40-60mths + across the board. I was wondering if you would award him 40-60mths + for creative devt if he has yet to show any interest in the other aspects of creative devt. I know creativity is expressed in many different ways adnd I wondered what others do when there are gaps such as these.

Hope that's a bit clearer! If not, just ignore me!!!

:o

I wouldn't trust any record that required me to grade a child like that. I would just give the information you have given us, what he is good at, and what he hasn't shown evidence of.

May be a bit late to be replying to this (I am tired), but from a quick read of your post - and apologise if I've misread - the Creative Development part of the EYFSP is very broad and a child has to be doing all elements - I'm thinking particularly about Points 7 and 8, ie. if they're particularly gifted in music OR dance OR art you can't automatically award the point. They do need to be doing all elements.

Sorry,just flicked back to re-read your post and realise he was only 4 in September, so you probably won't be looking at Points 7/8 on the profile - told you I was tired. However I would still say, only award what you've seen/know he can do. What you have observed has highlighted areas you might want to try and develop.

Hope this helps.

Harricroft

thank you Harricroft (and lolo) we don't use profiles but learning and devt files supported by the EYFS. I'll continue recording him as working towards the 40-60mths as that's what he is doing. I'm really tired too and it's only week 2 of the term!

Sam

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)