Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

We Need In-house Training On Child Protection

We want to buy in some training for the whole staff, to look at child protection and make sure everyone is up to date. There are LEA courses, but it would be tricky to get all staff on them in the near future, because we can't let more than one person go at once.

Has anyone had someone come in and do this for a whole staff group? Are there any companies you would particularly recommend? Or any charities who do this kind of thing at a very low cost? We are voluntary run so money is always tight.

Thanks.

We used the NSPCC pack and it's fine, but I think it would only be valuable as a refresher, not really suitable for someone who hasn't done it before..... that's my opinion! Check with someone else who has used the material to see if they agree!

Also, can you ask your early years team? Sometimes if you can link up with other settings, courses may be run from your setting/venue.... would that help?

I have used the NSPCC training materials also, I think it could be classed as 1st stage training as you are raising awareness of safeguarding children. Safeguarding courses are very hard to get on were I am, particularly first level!

Switch are very good..........they gave us absolutely the best first aid training we've ever had, first class. If you are in Wiltshire, do you get the Bright horizons leaflet?? there's occasional weekend training in there, or they might arrange some for you, if you have enough staff ( and perhaps parents too??).......otherwise, what about college, they often do evening training sesssions for CP.

Could you let me know if you do it....sometimes you need numbers to make it viable and I think we are close-arent' we? I have safeguarding training next week and the week after but I should like some other members of staff to do the training, but like you can't do it without messing up ratios - and i also know another local setting who need some training?

Correct me if I am wrong...we are near Frome, Somerset.

Also we have in house First aid happening in March if you need anyone udpdating....we are doing the in-house thing and our local FSA is gathering numbers for us...we still have places available..

p.s. if I have remembered wrongly and you are the other side of the country - sorry!

:o

Edited by Guest

We got our CIS to run the training at our setting on a Saturday for all staff and it was opened up to other settings to get the numbers in. Is this worth a try if you've got the space?

Can your local children's centre offer anything?

Ours ran courses in Paediatric First Aid and Safeguarding Children for childminders, volunteers and parents. They had funding to do it and we paid £1.50 each - a big saving on the £25 and £15 respectively that the LA courses cost.

Nona

I just found this in my inbox! I did their on-line Food Hygiene course to update my own certificate and it covered all the necessary areas with the bonus of doing it at home rather than in a school over 2 Saturdays! (I checked with my LA that this was a suitable way of doing it)

It might be worth a look!?

Safeguarding Children

Includes:-

• What is abuse?

• Signs & Symptoms

• Is it Abuse?

• Your Responsibilities

• Case Studies

• Assessment and Certificate

Please see our website www.learnhq.com for a full list of all our course offerings

On successful completion of each course and assessment, a printable certificate is generated.

A site license for an entire school, nursery, pre-school or playgroup, costs £49.99 and a childminder license only £9.99.

• The site license can be used by all employees, volunteers and temporary staff on a single site

• The training and assessment can be used more than once by the same person, allowing skills to be refreshed as and when desired

• All eLearning from Learn HQ can be used with Moodle or a similar LMS

• There is nothing further to pay - all staff (current and future) at the location can be trained from a single order

Multiple site licenses are also available, and have been popular with our local government clients.

For further information please either:-

• Call 01285 659000 or 0844 800 5370

Nona

I would want it from the Local authority as it will be relevant to your area, and deal with specifics. The one I went on was run by a practicing social worker in the area.

• 2 weeks later...
I just found this in my inbox! I did their on-line Food Hygiene course to update my own certificate and it covered all the necessary areas with the bonus of doing it at home rather than in a school over 2 Saturdays! (I checked with my LA that this was a suitable way of doing it)

It might be worth a look!?

Safeguarding Children

Includes:-

• What is abuse?

• Signs & Symptoms

• Is it Abuse?

• Your Responsibilities

• Case Studies

• Assessment and Certificate

Please see our website www.learnhq.com for a full list of all our course offerings

On successful completion of each course and assessment, a printable certificate is generated.

A site license for an entire school, nursery, pre-school or playgroup, costs £49.99 and a childminder license only £9.99.

• The site license can be used by all employees, volunteers and temporary staff on a single site

• The training and assessment can be used more than once by the same person, allowing skills to be refreshed as and when desired

• All eLearning from Learn HQ can be used with Moodle or a similar LMS

• There is nothing further to pay - all staff (current and future) at the location can be trained from a single order

Multiple site licenses are also available, and have been popular with our local government clients.

For further information please either:-

• Call 01285 659000 or 0844 800 5370

Nona

Hi Nona,

Please could you tell me how much it cost you to do your Food Hygiene course with learn HQ? Or was it free with a license from your employer?

Many thanks

Mine was £9.99 Childminder license. I could print off 2 certificates in different names.

A nursery or pre-school was £49.99 but I'm not sure how many certificates you could have. They're really helpful on the phone though, so definitely worth a call!

Nona