Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How Do You Trackmovement?

Hi,

I am a new reception teacher (Jan start)and because of the weather have only done 3 days this week.

How do you track which areas the children access when they are not doing an adult led activity. I have already noticed one child who is always on the same area and two boys who seem to 'float'.

I am beginning to feel like I am drowning a little as the classroom is such a mess but because the school was shut over Christmas I have had no time to organise it.This week I have been in a 7.30 and leaving at 5pm but am getting no where.

There is also a tiny amount of evidence for their profile and no Learning Journey or book work at all.

Where do I start? Any ideas or help would be greatly received.

Thanks

x

Hi MelG

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry, I can't help with your classroom issues but I just wanted to welcome you. I'm sure there'll be some reception teachers along soon with something more contructive to say :o

I hope you manage to get everything sorted out very soon and can start enjoying your new job.

Hi,

I am a new reception teacher (Jan start)and because of the weather have only done 3 days this week.

How do you track which areas the children access when they are not doing an adult led activity. I have already noticed one child who is always on the same area and two boys who seem to 'float'.

I am beginning to feel like I am drowning a little as the classroom is such a mess but because the school was shut over Christmas I have had no time to organise it.This week I have been in a 7.30 and leaving at 5pm but am getting no where.

There is also a tiny amount of evidence for their profile and no Learning Journey or book work at all.

Where do I start? Any ideas or help would be greatly received.

Thanks

x

Hi mel try a tracker observation then that will confirm whos going where Marshie

Hi, I hav a few suggestions - do you have a TA who could do a time and motion study for a bit during class time? With this you draw lines to show the children's movements to each activity. Alternatively, how about using a video so that you can review the children's movements later. Or, what about some kind of self registration or planning board system so they have to choose using names where they go and you can then track it via that.

Good luck, don't worry it will all come with time, it is always hard starting a new job.

Hello MelG

There are a couple of things you could do to get you started... first of all try not to panic. Nobody would or should expect you to get everything up and running straight away so take a deep breath and think about what is most important. Get yourself a list of priorities and take it from there. You won't be able to do everything straight away so start with what is most important.

In terms of tracking.... make sure you plan time to track/observe children within your weekly planning/timetable. If you don't do this then it won't happen. You could simply have a class list in one column and areas of learning headers across the top. Observe the children over a period of time to see which area of learning they are visiting and for how long. (You might like to look at the Ferre Levers involvement scale for your own interest)

http://www.kindengezin.be/Images/Zikohandl...cm149-50761.pdf

I must admit that I do not tend to focus on tracking on its own as this will be shown when observing- but again plan time for this as it won't happen- this usually means something has to give on the timetable but as observations are part of our practice then this should not pose too much of a problem.

In terms of evidence for profiles/Learning Journeys- the easiest and quickest way to get something going is to devise simple folders for each child. Either you could get shop bought folders, or what I do for the nursery ones is to make our own;

Front cover with photo of child (optional) copy of profile scale points to highlight achievements and monitor gaps in learning and then a sheet of paper for each area of learning. We colour code ours and put a header at the top for each area learning as it helps to ensure that we have coverage. We simple hole punch all these and use treasury tags to bind (cheap and quick option). I also include a clear pucnhed pocket at the back to add any writing samples etc.

I hope this helps MelG. Remember try not to panic- it will all come good in the end if you prioritise and understand that you are not expected to do everything overnight. Good Luck

Hi,

Arrghh hey?

Take the pressure off yourself by keeping the parents happy.

Take the time to notice positives about each child and share these with the parents at the end of the day. This will keep them happy as they will be very interested in what you are doing and how you are coping.

Maybe share your action plan with them, a little letter home saying 'hello', introducing yourself and saying that there is a lot to do and you plan to start with xyz etc. Communicating in this way reguarly will keep them on side whilst you do important observing. Explicitly explain in the letter when you plan to hear readers/change books as sadly that is often what they judge a new teacher on! You know that the important stuff is observing and getting to know them though.

Good luck, onwards and upwards!

Hi Mel and welcome.

Personally I wouldnt worry too much about tracking movement but concentrate on getting to know the children and establishing your classroom routines and expectations. You will almost certainly find that once you and the children are used to one another that the children will settle and become more focussed as you are able to plan more efficiently for their needs and interests. Then you can start to think about evidence and learning journeys--by about half term!

I would also give yourself a pat on the back that you have already made the observation that you have as it can be so easy to leave children to get on and take no notice unless they are causing a disruption.

So I would spend some time on the carpet, short but frequent bursts of finding out about one another, stories, rhymes, finger play and number etc. Encourage the children to work with you in focused activities too and things will fall into place.

Do you have a TA/NN, they should be able to help you in this. You can stick to previous routines or devise your own but make your expectations of everyone clear. Listen to your TA but if you feel things arent working as you wish them to then change them carefully! Build up a team and you will soon feel more in control. You and the children could even spend time exploring the classroom and the available resources an setting it up, rather than you spending hours on your own.

Good luck and let us know how you get on. Shout again if you need to.

Thanks for all your tips and kind words. I am making a list and plan to start next week with more confidence. I find it hard to leave the children to make their own choices and when they don't access the activity on the areas but do something different with t. I know this is all part of CI activities but keeping on top of it will be a challenge. You must all be start teachers to be on top of all this.

Thanks again

Mel

Hi Mel and well done and welcome to Early Years..it's a fab stage to work in!!!!

Good advice been given so far...pace yourself maybe by making a table with week1, week 2, week3, week 4, etc and put some jobs you want to get done in each week. that will help you to get organised a bit in your head and you won't feel so overwhelmed.

We put our records in 4 files according to which group the child is in. We have a record sheet for each area of CLL and PSRN for each child and i would recommend you do an observation in these area fairly soon to have evidence of where the children have started from with you. Also you will feel you know the children better that way. We also habe a sheet for other areas but the english and maths need to be your priority just now. In the Autumn term we spend first few weeks assessing so do the same.

Also agree with Edlee about parents..share what you are doing with them and encourage any work done by the children at home to come into school..set up a board for this and the parents will love it.

Good luck and keep smiling...you will manage and get there in the end.

Redbase :o

I came up with the idea of 'learning passports' in a previous setting. Each child had a A5 sized sheet split into 6 boxes, one for each area of learning with a picture to show which area was which. When the children completed an activity/spent time in a particular area, they bring their passport to a member of staff who puts a sticker in that box. We display them on the wall as it encourages a little bit of competitive spirit and makes them want more stickers. We explained the idea to the parents too so they can encourage the children.

It's a great way to see which areas the children are accessing, which areas particular children seem to be avoiding and then we can plan things to entice them into those areas.

Hope that helps!

Vickie

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)