Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Counting

Does anyone have any ideas on introducing counting in 2s to reception. I have thought about having pairs of objects to match and singing the sizzling sausages song so far. I would really appreciate hearing any ideas that have worked well as I need to plan a whole lesson on this.

Thanks!

Thats the sort of thing I always do. I also count quietly 1 and louder 2 etc, until the children can get the hang of the sequence. Using your fingers and counting in 2s to 10 also works quite well visually.

Good luck!

In my favourite book at the moment "Tom Thumbs Musical Maths Songs"

Is a song

The ants come marching two by two

Hurrah Hurrah

Hurrah Hurrah

In summer they grew wings and flew

And they stamped their feet and flapped their wings

In the Minibeast parade

Then 4 Ladybirds

6 Crickets

8 bettles and

10 bees

The words to the verses change slightly as you go.

I did this last week with my class and they love the song and have some concept of counting in twos. During the holiday, time permiting I want to make pictures to go with it.

Lorna

We sing 2,4,6,8 who do we appreciate... (then yell out our class name)

We also sing 2 little elephants balancing (adapted from This Little Puffin). The children are the elephants and each time two more come and we count in twos.

Hard to find exciting activities, I'm afraid!

• 1 month later...

You could make your own number line to display on the classroom wall, the children could draw 2 eyes, 2 ears, 2 arm, 2 legs. Also you could use the story of Noahs ark.

The children did this themselves today at our setting using coloured clothes pegs which they put onto plates in pairs. They all spent a long time counting in 2s, and comparing each others plates for pairs of numbers in different colours.

Inge

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)