Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Colleague Lost Confidence

Hi. Its something thats been on my mind for a while now but a colleague of mine seems to have lost all her confidence in her own abilities. Without going into too many details, its because of all the recent changes in education/more specifically the FS. She's a wonderful teacher but has had all her confidence knocked and I'm worried that she's going to make herself ill with stress. She's been teaching for many years but all the recent changes have just zapped her of her enthusiasm. I'm a lot younger and am used to all the paper work and having to justify everything we do with a learning objective. It does do my head in :o but I accept the fact that we can't do EVERYTHING. I'm not sure of the best way to deal with the situation as part of me feels that other more experienced teachers have been through the same (with the intoduction of the national curriculum then the lit and num hours) and without being mean xD its part of the job and we should just get on with it but the other part of me wants to do something to enhance her self esteem but I'm not quite sure what????

I really would appreciate any thoughts/advice

Thanks a lot

x :)

Hi zim, if this teacher is anything like me, it wont just be anything thats recent. My own change of heart happened slowly over more than a year. There's not one thing I can say did it, but lots of little things that I used to be able to overlook or get on and do became tedious and a chore. All of them together zapped my enthusism. They could be little things that alone meant nothing, but I started to get annoyed at parents lack of support for fundraising, committee members who only had negative comments to make, the fact that I had to sweep the floor every morning, an ofsted report with so many inaccurisis (sp?) that I honestly thought I had been given the wrong one. It can be a huge knock to know that even when you do your very best and strive constantly to better yourself and those around you, that with a few written lines you can look less than you would want, that when you apply new ideas that are 'the way' they can change months later. I'm for change, but after a while it does make you question things, if what you did last week was fine how come this week it's not? Nothing is ever good enough. I started to feel, that everytime the phone rang, or the post came there was going to be something else to have a policy for or to train for, or to fill in or try to accomodate.

I dont know what your friends like, but if somebody had spoken to me about how I was feeling I wouldnt of taken any notice of them, I like to sort things in my own mind and then decide. You obviously know her better, so if talking might have an effect try it. The only thing I would say is what ever her decision is, support her and go with it, it's the best help I've had from collegues.

Your friend may have just realised that she doesnt want to do it anymore. I love working with the children but I'm quite frankly sick of the burocracy and red tape.

This doesnt really answer what you were posting about, but hope there are some clues there. I hope your friend feels better about herself soon. :D

Thanks Rea. :) It must be so frustrating to have outsiders constantly tell you to change things and then see things come full circle again. I think the key to it has to be balance. Part of me would like to ignore new initiatives and go along with what my colleague has always done because she's the one with all the experience and probably knows whats best but the other part of me feels that change can be good and -especially for me with less experience-how can I say things don't work if I haven't tried them for myself?

Don't know if this makes much sense or if anyone else is going through similar stuff?

To answer that zim, I've always done what I want. I will support anybody if they want to try out new initiatives and ideas, I'll never say 'dont do that cos I did once and it didnt work', I let everybody have a go and make their own evaluations. But that doesnt mean I'll personally go along with new things, I look long and hard at new ideas, try them out and if I dont like them, and dont see the benefit to the children or the setting, I bin them. I will agrue the toss with PLA, EYDCP and Ofsted too. :D

signed...Mrs confrontational

Cor, definitly time to leave :oxD

Good on ya Rea. I was so annoyed when OFSTED wrote in our report that the children do not get enough opportunity to mix paints. We had spent ages mixing paints the week before they arrived (if they had bothered to read my planning) we made handprints which was a great experience for the children and I wanted to display the prints 'our rainbow of handprints' but the colours looked really yucky so we let the children take the original prints home and repeated the activity with ready mixed paints which looked alot brighter and all (including the children!) agreed that it made a much nicer rainbow. However, our head was going 'pre ofsted photo mad' and took loads of pics-including this one of us repeating the activity. I thought it would be nice to display this picture of the children making their prints along with the finished rainbow. Unfortunately, the bottles of paint are in shot and that is where the bloody inspector got that assumption/comment from. I was so bloody annoyed!!! :oxD But it just goes to show-what the hell woulkd they know? :D They're making a snapshot judgement.

Rea, I wish I had your energy to speak out, I too in the past have stood up for my beliefs and principles but I am nearing "burn out". This too has happened gradually over the years ( 20 yrs in the job). My first dissalusion was when they started putting funding into preschools ( remember DLO's) - I wore rose tinted glasses then, I actually thought it would improve everything but then our local school changed policy to once a year intake and it's gone down hill ever since. I just really worry for the children, the media talks about dissaffected children aged 11-12, well they've been in "formal education" for 8 YEARS with another 4+ More time to serve :oxD . How many adults stay in the same workplace for this period of time???

Ofsted, EYAT's etc have really bled me dry of confidence and I really don't know what is what any more - everything I am expected to do goes partly against my principles with regard to what is best for the children.

However, as my new year resolution is still clear in my head and not forgotten, I try to be positive, the only way I can is by continuing to enjoy being with the children, it's as basic as that, I just wish everything else was :(

Peggy

Zim, What a kind person you are. I second Rea's point you know how best to support her. I hope she feels more positive when the sun begins to shine, maybe we are all just a bit S.A.D. ( light deficiant) at the moment.

Peggy

You've hung on longer than I have Peggy, 9 years I've done, and I really have had enough. I too worry about the children, two staff and our chair were having a meeting with the head of the local primary today about his invitation to use a spare room he has so we can strengthen links and offer more sessions (he didnt have it when I asked a couple of yrs ago nor was he keen to share anything) He wants a nursery now though and we stand in his way as a provider in the area already with a healthy waiting list and full register. With all due respect to those people who work in school nurseries, I personally dont think they are the right place for a child of 3, thank goodness that my children had their childhoods in a playgroup. :o:D

You hang on to your positive thoughts Peggy :D

I've gained insight listening to your rplies rea/peggy. I wish my colleauge would have more of your positive attitude peggy-enjoy being with the children. I suppose all I can say is don't worry and take it a day at a time but my problem is that she doesn't actuallty share her feeling with me-its more of a general attitude if that makes sense? I can't really say-be more positive as its not my place (plus I'm youngermore inexperienced and she might think' what would you know?')

I guess if I remain positive myself and try and be cheerful thats all I can do! :D

OK, so you cant say 'be more positive', but you could just mention that you've noticed she's quite lately, is there anything you could do to help?' She may open up, but if she doesnt dont assume that she's thinking 'what would you know'. Not everyone likes to talk things through. By letting her know you've noticed a change and that you're willing to help, it will open a window for her. Like Peggy said, you're a kind person, she will know that and sometimes, knowing someone is there is a help, even if you dont use them can make you feel better in your self. :D