Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Recording Assessments

hi everyone and Happy New year. I was wondering if any one else completes the profile booklets for each child in their reception classroom. For each statement in the profile we have to have a photo and written evidence of when that profile point was completed in these booklets. To me this is not only sooo time consuming. With 15 new children joining us making it now 29 I am expected to be able to complete these every night. My lovely jobshare (joke) has said she has been carrying me since Septembe with these booklets. I had to bite my tongue to tell her there must be an easier way to record their assesment. Please can anyone enlighten me on how they keep their assessments re the profile points. Also do you listen to your ch read x per week. That would be 58 times per week!! Madness but my job sharer said this is quite common!! :o

Who is it that has told you you need a photo and obs for each point? That seems crazy and duplicating evidence! I generally like to have at least 3 pieces of evidence before I award a scale point, this can either be photo or observation. I don't fill in the booklets, we have replaced them by the e-profile on the computer.

I record my observations and photos in individual learning stories (scrap books). All the obs and photos are put in in chronolgical order and are referenced to the scale points they are meeting (often show evidence of more than one scale point). It means that I can do them at the end of the week or give my TA some time in the week to update them. I had ofsted 2 weeks before christmas and they loved the learning stories because next to the obs I write the children's next steps and use them to plan from.

As for reading - I do a shared group or guided group reading session (depending on ability) and a phonics reading based activity each week. I don't do individual reading at all. By the summer term I will do some individual reading or get a parent helper to do some reading. Guided reading is more useful and time efficient!

Hope that makes sense! I sympathise with you regarding your job share!

You certainly do not and there has never been any requirement for you to have hard evidence for every profile point. It is your professional judgement and knowledge of the child that counts most and you support that with your photos and written obs but also by what you have in your head. How for example do you photograph, manages personal hygiene, understands right from wrong etc. To have that sort of detail is a unmanageable for 1 child let alone a class.

I would suggest that you need to go to your line manager to resolve this.

As I am now in yr1 I am not familiar with the EYFS docs but it should be clear in there what the requirement is that you can take with you. I am also certain that your LA advisor would be able to help resolve this.

Good Luck.

You certainly do not and there has never been any requirement for you to have hard evidence for every profile point. It is your professional judgement and knowledge of the child that counts most and you support that with your photos and written obs but also by what you have in your head. How for example do you photograph, manages personal hygiene, understands right from wrong etc. To have that sort of detail is a unmanageable for 1 child let alone a class.

I would suggest that you need to go to your line manager to resolve this.

As I am now in yr1 I am not familiar with the EYFS docs but it should be clear in there what the requirement is that you can take with you. I am also certain that your LA advisor would be able to help resolve this.

Good Luck.

eprofile is the electronic recording system for the EYFS profile in the Reception year.

It needs to be supported by your LEA but otherwise it is free to download and to use. You need data for your children to access it but it is a useful tool for recording, reporting and comparing.

I would suggest you read through all the very clear guidance in the EYFSP handbook which clarifies what you do and don't need to do direct from the QCDA.

There are so many myths and spurious "short cuts" that exist going to the statutory source materials is probably your best bet if you want to review your processes.

And your job share can't argue with what's in the handbook to which "you must have statutory regard" can she!!!!!

Cx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)