Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Golden Rules

titchy

Hi im after some advice, I want to introduce the children in my setting to a set of rules e.g. no running, biting, being kind and so on. Is it up to us what boundaries/expectations we set for the children. I know alot of places have golden rules is there a site that they use. I've been told that your now not allowed to say no running and instead have to say something along the lines of please walk at school.

I've been told that your now not allowed to say no running and instead have to say something along the lines of please walk at school.

It's not that you 'aren't allowed' to say it as such, it's just that it's not considered good practise anymore. Positive rules are recommended now because if you tell children not to do something they are more likely to do it. If I say, "don't think of a pink elephant" what's the first thing you think of? You just can't help it anymore than the children who immediately get the urge to tear around like maniacs when told "don't run".

As for golden rules you just make your own that are relevant to your setting. There’s no right or wrong set of rules and certainly no website telling you what you must put in them.

We use circle time to discuss the things we would like in the rules - hidden adult agenda like not wanting the children to run for example.

We start a discussion on a real accident or near miss when someone was hurt because they were running too fast and bumped into a child or furniture.

We then turn that around to "We walk indoors and can run outdoors where there is much more space" Then we go about photographing some children walking indoors/running outdoors to use in a display with the annotation.

The display is on a large wooden free standing board that is our self registration board. The "golden rules" are all around the edges so they see it everyday/parents see the rules. Children even bring each other to the board to remind each other when anyone breaks a rule.

Works really well, we go over/renegotiate termly as we have new children starting throughout the year and it helps the others to remember.

Hope this helps

we have little pratices not golden rules as we practice every day LOL!!!

we use our teeth to bite food - verbal, written and visual

we use our hands to play - "

we use our feet to kick balls -

we also call our health and safety rules 'practices' again, because we 'pratcice every day' LOL hope this helps.

:o

Hi

Ours were decided by the children themselves at circle time (with a little guidance from myself!!). We have them laminated and blue tacked onto our golden rules board so they can be detached and looked at. We have the makaton signs underneath as a vuisual aid. The rules we came up with are short and sweet.

We take care of our things

We share with each other

We walk inside

We listen when someone is talking

We are kind to each other

It surpriing how the children take them on board and you hear them talking to each other about them. Every so often we have a circle time reminder session!!!

We were advised to keep rules to a minimum. You can choose something that is all encompassing which will help with the positive element ie We are kind and to colour code them to help children remember them when displayed. The blue rule is "we are kind".

I have my rules even in year1 on a display so that I can take them down and look at them from time to time and we have started using the word promise rather than rule which the children seem to have taken on board more.

Golden rules themselves are terms from the Jenny Mosely Circle Time "programme" and you can get some good books and resources to help you with this as well as using the SEAD materials.

I am not sure...but it is definetly good practice to include the children....I use S-box to print out some visual's of what we would like in our Golden Rules and the children have translated them...I typed up their suggestions and displayed them....all except for the one a little boy suggested "at nursery we have to do things good or the police will take us away!" :oxD

Obviously this sparked a lovely conversation and further activity-topic, plus visit from the police to reiterate the old favourite 'People who help us'

What i did in our setting was took some photo's of the children when they were sharing, talking nicely to each other, ect.... i then laminated them with word's like kind hands kind feet with the relating picture, kind words ect... we show them with the photo's and explain them to the children what they were for, every now and then we go through them again, some more than others!!! I was told by our early years not to do too many, i did five in total, and make it very simple, :o

Hi

Ours were decided by the children themselves at circle time (with a little guidance from myself!!). We have them laminated and blue tacked onto our golden rules board so they can be detached and looked at. We have the makaton signs underneath as a vuisual aid. The rules we came up with are short and sweet.

We take care of our things

We share with each other

We walk inside

We listen when someone is talking

We are kind to each other

It surpriing how the children take them on board and you hear them talking to each other about them. Every so often we have a circle time reminder session!!!

I also asked for the children's input in deciding what rules we should have in place and our rules are almost exactly the same. Ours too are displayed at children's level but with accompaning photos.

Have you ever used the Golden Rule series of books by Jenny Mosley? she is brilliant! I use these to reinforce the rules when they are not being followed. They are very good particularly for younger children and she has created a range of other resources to accompany that could be used with children of varying ages.

Hope this helps :o

Link here:www.circle-time.co.uk

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)