Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

To Close Or Not To Close?

we stay open, come what may..........................we can walk in and so can several of the children. Our school closes at the drop of a hat ( honestly, and they take H/S over the top..no angels had wings this year, 'in case someone got an eye poked out'), so, if i was in their grounds, i would do my own risk assessment and do what i felt was safest for everyone. If I closed, I wouldn't charge fees, and i would still expect topay wages, so I would think hard before i closed.........and see if i could make the paths etc any safer ( have done in the past) with slat'grit, or samd. I think everyone has to decide for themselves whats best and what suits your group, but if you have staff willing and able to get to work, then I think you should open.We had loads of fun today with snow men....ours lloked like Iggle Piggle....we used fir cones for hair..no pics, 'cos we went in for hot chocolate, intending to go back out to carry on, and some big lads had booted it over............so we'll do another tomorrow!

We were told we could not grit etc as you are then liable if someone does injure themselves?? Is that correct

We were told we could not grit etc as you are then liable if someone does injure themselves?? Is that correct

I have never heard this one, miffy100. Logic says that there would be a stronger case against you if you took no action someone hurt themselves, but what do I know?

I'd go back and ask whoever told you that to tell you the reason why/piece of legislation this is covered by!

Maz

I have never heard this one, miffy100. Logic says that there would be a stronger case against you if you took no action someone hurt themselves, but what do I know?

I'd go back and ask whoever told you that to tell you the reason why/piece of legislation this is covered by!

Maz

Well i spent a bit of time googling it just and from what i can see you are liable

quote one comment"in insurance terms you are confirming that by gritting the road there is a risk therefore if you do it you are kinda liable..stupid i know"

How I hate Health and Safety and fear of being 'liable'. It makes us all do nothing instead of helping others and sensibly getting through this cold snap without making it an absolute crisis.

Edited by Chill

We have definately been told we would be liable if we cleared the path and put grit down, so we don't.

Regarding closure, we follow the local schools, but also do our own health and safety risk assessment. Today our local schools have opened but we are closed as its not given above -2 here and our building is so old and the heating not efficient, so wouldnt warm the room up sufficient for the children and we would probably be below the temparature OFSTED recommend for the children. The room is freezing when the staff arrive as the heating isnt on a timer, its only over head heaters which never get to the childrens level!!!

Regarding staff being paid, staff that are due in get half pay and are not expected to do work, as like some have commented, most have children at home anyway to look after.

Anyone else have heating issues in very cold weather? I think our committee are going to discuss it at the next meeting.

You are not alone; I have been amending

Invoices, contacting prospective parents,

I have just sent out invoices so decided to put a note in their trays saying please pay as normal and i will deduct what is owed next term as i did not how many days closed.

like many of you we cannot afford for this to go on too long. walked to town and paths are terrible. If I say we are open then parents will feel obliged to send children which is putting them at risk. years ago nobody bothered but if someone slips and hurts themselves because we have not cleared the snow then we are the ones in trouble.

buttercup

I was told today about a school and nursery site which opened only to have someone from the council come round and tell them in no uncertain terms that they were to close immediately because it wasn't safe on the grounds and because they shouldn't be encouraging people to make the journey into school.

Today one of our staff members injured herself walking into school by slipping on the ice so saying that staff and children can walk in is really no reason to stay open in some ways. Snow on most pavements has now become so compacted and iced up that this is just as dangerous as driving ito places on the icy roads, plus there's always the risk from passing cars skidding off the road and hitting someone. Forget being liable for anything, I'd just hate for a child, parent or staff member to be injured on their way to school/nursey knowing that if it was shut they would probably have been safely at home.

Of course it shouldn't be like this because councils should be prepared and should grit roads/pavements etc to make things safe. Life shouldn't come to a stop because of a cold snap, but unfortunately it is the way things are and I think considering the safety of the journey to a setting/school is just as important as considering the safety of the setting itself. Just because no one is technically obliged to turn up doesn't mean they wouldn't risk the journey (I did this morning even though I shouldn't have!) because they feel awful if they don't make the effort.

Edited by Guest