Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Non Payment Of Fees

I have searched and read other forum entries on this subject, but was wondering if anyone knew if once a child started at your group on nursery vouchers you could still cancel childs place if parents refuse to pay the fees that they had built up previously. I am geussing not. We did send out a cancellation letter before christmas, but the parent came in on monday to rebook voucher places, promising to pay when she brings her in on wed. however she has promised to pay before and i just know we wont get the money. Do i let the child stay on wed if mum says she will pay when she picks her up or do i ask mum to go back and get the money and then bring child back.

Oooh tricky! I suppose if you have a considerable history of non-payment built up with this parent, it would be best to ring and remind her the evening before that until she has paid the arrears she should not bring the child in. it is very difficult to turn a child away from your group once they have turned up I find.

If you fore-warn your parent, I would feel much better in myself to then say I'm sorry we did speak about this last night -etc. etc.

I agree with Panders.

A quick phone call "just to remind you, before you bring X along tomorrow. I wouldn't want them to be upset if they can't stay because the fees aren't up to date"

Hopefully, it will save any embarrassment on both sides. It's horrible having to stand your ground about money but has to be done! Good Luck!

Nona

When you say vouchers, do you mean childcare vouchers or the nursery education grant?

I think it would be difficult to refuse a child for their free entitlement but anything over and above that would be an extra and possible to come to an agreement as to how this amount is paid. We agree a weekly payment plan with parents until the debt is repaid.

do your policies an procedures have any reference to non payment of fees?

I put into place last year that parents with outstanding fees not paid will be asked to bring their child's fees up to date otherwise the sessions would be withdrawn.

It is worth thinking about adding to your policies and procedures, Terms & Conditions. This happens all to often in one of my settings. we have also written into our policy a late payment fee which has helped to keep parents minds on paying fees when due each month.

You could also ring Ofsted or your local funding team and ask their advice.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)