Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ofsted 'average' Entry

Does anybody know the criterai that OFSTED use to say that a reception intake is below average / average / above average on entry? I know it used to be blue/green colour bands but now...?

I have been wondering the same thing since our recent ofsted (last week!!) they said we couldn't get higher than satisfactory in foundation due to only satisfactory results in the profile - satisfactory being above the national average! What is the national average? What data do they us for their on entry results?

Kx

I have been wondering the same thing since our recent ofsted (last week!!) they said we couldn't get higher than satisfactory in foundation due to only satisfactory results in the profile - satisfactory being above the national average! What is the national average? What data do they us for their on entry results?

Kx

our authority told me the same thing but we had ofsted 2 weeks ago and we got good with elemants of outstanding so i think thwy just move the goal posts all the time!!

our authority told me the same thing but we had ofsted 2 weeks ago and we got good with elemants of outstanding so i think thwy just move the goal posts all the time!!

Is it that Ofsted keep moving the goalposts and changing their minds, or is it a case of inconsistency between different Ofsted teams?

yes interesting isn't it! The goal post do keep moving but it does make you wonder if all the ofsted teams are in line qith each other! It was demoralising, I'm noew this year so past results were no reflection on me and the teaching/learning/provision was graded good with elements of outstanding so doesn't make sense to grade purely on national data etc!!!

Pleased to hear other people are doing better though! I wasn't aware that our profile results weren't good, many of the children were scoring 7 and 8 on each section!

It's in relation to progress, not just attainment.

Your national expectations for nursery are secure 22 - 36, emerging 30 - 50. Expectations on entry for F2 secure 30 - 50, emerging 40 - 60+. 60+ is securing the ELGs. (All from the Ofsted inspection schedules so not a moving goalpost!!)

Progress is measured by where children are on entry to where they are on exit.

If your on entry shows children broadly in line and on exit broadly in line then progress is satisfactory because of limited added value.

How well are your vulnerable groups doing??? As well as the rest or is there a trend of underachievement?? Are you demonstrating progress for these groups narrowing the gap over time?

What is your % of children with 78 points including 6+ in PSED/CLLD??

All of these will feed into a final judgment. It's not just the number of scale points attained!! You could have a good progress judgment and still be below expectations because of the rate of progress children make from entry.

Cx

Thanks Catma,

I need some clarification, when you mentioned 50-60 and 60+ etc are you referring to the months in the EYFS? I plan for my children using them and can tell you which children are working in which age group but there is no data which tells me this (other than my planning which Ofsted didn't look at) - should there be? The only data I have which Ofsted will get from my school is the Profile, which shows progress and the on entry assessment we do - the Bury Infant check which I think is just a county thing??

As I am new to the school I don't really know about the progress made in previous years, not sure which data to use to tell me this? As for this year the children are making good progress, particularly my low ability children, this can be seen using the profile.

I don't know the % of children acheiving 78 points off hand, is 78 points deemed to be average? Sorry for all the questions, I only just completed my NQT year so still learning!

Thanks K

It is related to the ages/stages as the ELGs form the basis of the EYFSP so a child who is secure or achieved the ELGs will be attaining within the EYFSP points 4 - 8 or have all of those (ie 8 points). Ofsted can look at these data sets and see what the progress is for children from the start to the finish and if there has been added value to this provided by the setting.

The 78 points business is an average of 6 in each scale so 13 x 6 = 78! However what you really need to be looking at is 78 points which includes 6+ in each of the 7 PSED/CLLD scales. That is defined as a good overall level of attainment.

Looking at narrowing your gap - it's the distance between the average for the cohort and the cut off where the bottom 20% start. Think of a normal distribution curve with a long tail on the left hand side! The narrower the tail the narrower the gap in broad terms. You need to know who sits in this tail - drilling down to pupil level and then are you doing anything that is making a difference. Do the below nat av children make good progress and catch up with their peers?

Your planning is from the ages/stages as you are delivering the curriculum, but the curriculum is also about supporting children as they progress towards the ELGs - you then assess attainment through the EYFSP.

From your last few years EYFSP data(our LA provides this info every year in the data pack back to schools) you can see if there are trends over time - do your ethnic minority children continuously underachieve for instance, or is the gap between boys and girls getting narrower? For example I analysed our LA CLLD data. Although on the surface boys attainment was still lower than girls, the gap between them last year and the gap between them this year was narrower and showed the boys were making on average 1 scale point more than before so it was indicative that our LA focus on gender issues was having impact.

Hope that helps!

Cx

ages_stages.doc

Thank you very much, that makes a lot of sense. I will get analysing the data! Ofsted said our PSED results were good so guess its the CLLD and other areas to focus on. Really appreciate your comments. x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)