Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Adult Led Verus Child Initiated

Hello everyone

I am sure this topic has been discussed before but i'm struggling to find the correct balance in planning my activities. Can anyone help with what the exact balance between Child Initiated and Adult Led activities in the Recption Class should be ? Ie how much time each day should children have doing adult led activities?

I would thoroughly appreciate any suggestions

Thank you

I think the official line is 'a balance of adult and child led activities' - but someone please correct me if I am wrong.

I try to do a very rough 50:50 balance, but that is across the week as some days, such as when we have PE, the balance is more towards adult led. I think overall is slightly more towards adult led - but I think it has to be what works for you/your class.

A few months ago there was an article in the TES which stated

HOW MUCH TIME TO PLAY?

Sue Ellis of the National Strategies is keen to dispel the myth that children must now spend 80 per cent of their time playing.

The idea arose from the EYFS assessment document, which states that evidence should come 80 per cent from child-initiated and 20 per cent from adult-led activities. But there is no such rule. Basically, one-third of the day should be spent on adult-initiated and two-thirds on child- initiated activities, half of which is spent playing alongside adults.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)