Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Birthdays

Hi Can you tell me how you celebrate the childrens birthdays in preschool. I just find ours could be better. We give a card and then light the cake [not real of course} Then the child blows out the candles. Then we give a sticker. Do you have a birthday chart as well.

Dorinda

We do allow children to bring in fairy cakes/birthday cakes to be shared at snack time. I know this doesn't exactly fit with healthy eating, but we do allow parents to opt their child "out" of the scheme if they prefer, and do provide alternatives for those and those with allergies etc. We all sing happy birthday when cake is lit, and give a special birthday sticker.

We do make birthday charts from time to time when they fit in with our planning focus (eg seasons/months of the year, all about me etc), but not as a full time display.

Guest MaryEMac

We have the months of the year on a display with every child's and aduls name stuck to the appropriate month and these are then moved to a birthday cake when it is their birthday. On the actual birthday each child receives a card and at snack time they are allowed to look after the birthday bear. This is a bear made at the bear factory shop who sings 'Happy birthday'. They also are allowed to bring in a cake if they wish. We take a photo of the child with the bear and this goes home to parents at end of session.

Mary

We give a letter to parents a week or so before the child's birthday in which we ask them to send in a photo of the child: as a newborn, as a 1 year old, 2 year old and on up as appropriate. Parents usually do send in photos. Some send in a cake or cakes to hand out, but we downplay this.

On, or as near to, the day, we all sit round in a circle with a lit candle placed on top of a 'sun' shape in the middle. The birthday child shows the photographs one by one to their friends, with a commentary from their key person about how they have grown/changed with the passage of time (always a difficult concept). If the child is too shy to do this the kp will support as required. The photos are placed around the candle (H&S always forefront in our minds of course)!

The child is then invited to walk around the candle holding a globe to represent the earth's passage around the sun, i.e. once for each year. Then the group sings Happy Birthday, the child is invited to blow out the candle and everyone claps. Then that child chooses some favourite songs for the group to sing together.

We try to keep this celebration for one child at a time, as it is such a special event. We also do it for staff - sometimes lots of counting and a very dizzy adult!

Photographs are taken throughout the proceedings and put into the learning journey.

We have a permanent display in the cloakroom which is a circle with four differnet coloured sections, one for each season, with names of months written in appropriate sections. A photo of each child is displayed by the appropriate month.

HTH

Lesley :o

I have a photo in an A4 frame on the self registration table which says, today we are celebrating ............ 3rd birthday. We note down what the child has done, within reason, during free play, i.e., played with friend in home corner, etc. This info is then printed on the back of the photo and put into their learning journey together with photos of their morning.

At snack time the birthday child leads all the children out to the washroom to wash their hands. We lay a birthday table cloth on the snack table area, the child counts all the children present and then collects enough cups for drinks for all of them, if they have brought in a cake we light the candles and sing happy birthday, if not I have a china fairy cake which holds one candle which they blow out. After snack they choose a party game to play, we then have a birthday related story to finish the morning before we give them a card from the adults a card which has been created by their friends during the morning and a commercial party bag, i.e. Peppa Pig, or other. If they are 3 they are also given their Treasure Box of books from bookstart. If a parent sends in any sweets, they are given out by the child as the children leave.

We like birthdays!