Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Babyroom Layout

Hi

I am collecting ideas for changing the babyroom on my placement. I wanted to ask those who work in a babyroom what sort of layout you have. Do you have 'areas/zones'.

What sort of features would you say work really well eg.. fabric hanging from the ceiling to soften the look, chiffon curtains on a low level pole infront of a mirror.

I need ideas that can be achieved without spending a lot of money (as awlways!).

Thank you

I have seen a low level texture wall that looks good made from carpet squares. The sort they use as samples in carpet stores, depending how generous the shop is sometimes you can get them for free especially if they have old samples.

I like the little rugs and bath mats which Communication Friendly Spaces use in their practitioner bags. Babies can experience these as textures to crawl on, pick up and hold, cover things with or hide behind and they can be put in the washing machine. Ikea do some nice ones fairly cheaply.

Hi there

In the baby room at my previous setting they had amongst other things: heuristic baskets, metre squares of different fabrics, musical instruments, soft play, push-pull toys, mirrors, things that move in the wind or by blowing, places where the babies could pull themselves up to practise standing and lots of natural items. They had a separate painting/craft area, they used the outdoor area a lot so that children were often really grubby, but having brilliant fun. Other than that, they tended to put down several micro areas for the children to explore, but rotate these every half hour or so. They would also either bring the babies into the two other rooms one or two at a time, or have some of the older children (siblings or otherwise) spend a session with them. This was really popular!

Having spent three sessions at a different baby unit where everything they had available was just plonked on the floor with very little thought (although lots of money had obviously been available and spent) I know which I preferred!

HTH

Lesley

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)