Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

P Scales And Pivat In Early Years

Could anyone help me please? Head and Deputy head are sending me on a course to look at using Pscalesand pivat in our Foundation stage ,Any thoughts on this please /Does anyone else use them ?

HI crestacat, we have talked about this recently here.

I have also found a short but useful explanation of Pivats on TES

P levels are assessment criteria published by QCA for children at National Curriculum age who are working below level 1. They go from P1 to P8 and then the next progression would be Nat Curr level 1c. There are P levels for all Nat Curr subjects. They are not statutory but from this year schools will be able to report a P level in the DFES data collection rather than W.

PIVATS stands for Performance Indicators for Value Added Target Setting and was devised by Lancashire County Council. It is an extended version of the P levels and differentiates each P level into 5 stepping stones. Other LEAs have published their own systems.

SO go your course and feedback to your head and deputy and dont forget us too!

Ihave found some info here

DOC] Target setting for pupils with

File Format: Microsoft Word 2000 - View as HTML

... 6. QCA/DFES Guidelines. 7. Using P Scales. 9. The benefits of P Scales. 10. Linking P Scales to the National Curriculum. 11. Linking P Scales to the Foundation ...

www.derby.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/ D586E15B-34D4-44CF-997A-7F455F6560B9/8364/PScalesbookletmay2004.doc -

Sorry dont know how to do a link to this site but I found it using Google search ,Seems many are using these

Will stay in touch

As there doesn't appear to be any reference to using P levels in either the FSCG or profile documents I don't understand why P levels are suggested as appropriate to FS when they are for NC and generally for assessing SEN children who cannot be assessed using the NC levels. Is using them saying that all our children are SEN because they will all certainly be on a P level. The FS curriculum is surely the tool for assessing from and reporting a "level/stage" if you have to. Children are working towards ELGs not NC so being W doesn't even come into it in my estimation. Sure some LEAs have tried to match them across but even then there aren't equvalent P statements for all the stepping stones and vice versa and any way why bother ??

This is something that makes me quite cross!! :o So please let us know what is being promoted out there as I would realy like to know.

(Not aimed at youi :D )

I feel the same way Catma ,I suppose that is why Im being sent on a course to find out more .My deputy head is keen to use the them as is the head so at the end of the day I may not have a choice ,but I shall ask all relevant questions on the course ,which is in March I think,and will get back to you .If there is anything you ant me to ask please let me know before then.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)