Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Psrn Weighing - Whole Class Problem Solving

I have a severe baby brain still. I've just returned from maternity leave and don't seem to be able to think of a single fun and creative thing!!!

In reception we are doing weight. Earlier in the week the chn will have been introduced to scales and parcels, heaviest & lightest etc. I need to put it into a fun 'problem solving' whole class activity for the end of the week. Any ideas gratefully received!!!!!

Thank you in anticipation.

Are you testing their pre-conceptions that a large parcel will weigh more than a small one etc. Could you wrap up parcels and they need to guess what's inside? how many parcels will fit into a certain box, or which parcels will add up to a certain weight when the box is weighed. Could you have a really big box and put a gas filled balloon inside, which when you open the box, just lifts into the air.

My boys used to like to see how many lego men a gas filled balloon could lift.

didnt want to read and go without answering but I am having problems thinking of anything great at the moment too. I would maybe do the idea of which parcels are heaviest but have some of the bigger parcels weighing less than the smaller ones and challenge them to sort the parcels into heaviest to lightest - maybe challenge them to decide what equipment they will need to do this and ask them to think about how they could record this - see told you my brain had died!!

didnt want to read and go without answering but I am having problems thinking of anything great at the moment too. I would maybe do the idea of which parcels are heaviest but have some of the bigger parcels weighing less than the smaller ones and challenge them to sort the parcels into heaviest to lightest - maybe challenge them to decide what equipment they will need to do this and ask them to think about how they could record this - see told you my brain had died!!

Could you do some kind of activity linked to Father Christmas and his gift deliveries? Maybe he has hurt his left hand ice skating with Rudolph and so can only lift things with his right hand. Therefore, they can only be light items. Can we test which items are light enough to lift with one hand and put them in a pile for Father Christmas, and which ones are too heavy and so have to go in a pile for the elves to sort.

Just thinking as I type so feel free to ignore!

:o

Fantastic! Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. Your ideas are brilliant ... I now have several different lessons not just one!

Thanks again, it is very much appreciated.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)