Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Interview-eeek!

Hi everyone, I'm new on here! I have on interview next week for a Foundation position and have to plan and set up an outdoor activity for 5 children to promote child initiated learning and then teach an adult-led phonics lesson for 5 children introducing the letter L. I'm really struggling, any successful lessons or good ideas would be great! Thank You! x :o Thought about incorporating a puppet somehow, sorting L objects for phonics and making mistakes which children have to correct???

Edited by Guest

For the phonics - how about silly soup from letteres and sounds:

We're making lots of silly soup,

We're making soup that's silly,

We're going to cook it in the fridge,

and make it nice and chilly.

(sung to tune of Pop goes the weasel)

then say "in goes a letter, a leaf, a log" (or other things beginning with 'L')

Children have to take turns to select items pictures from the middle, begginning with the corresponding letter.

Could incorporate an outdoor hunt for things beginning with L too.

Has the school asked for two activities?

How long do you have for your activity?

Have they specified any learning focus?

Yeah the outdoor child-initiated activity can be anything and has to be set up in the morning and left for 5 children to explore for 20mins then the 15mins phonics lesson is a seperate thing for 5 children! :o

make it interactive puppets can work really well - a lion who only eats things beginning with "l" for his lunch?

Thats brilliant forgot all about the 'Silly Soup' activity- will it last 15min though? The Outdoor activity is before the phonics lesson and has to be set up and left for 5 children to explore for 20mins! It can be anything but has to child initiated.

Thanks for the graet idea! :o

Have you got any idea about what the children have been learning about recently, their interests etc.

Can you think of anything that could be Christmas related?

Outdoor role play of Father Christmas perhaps----presents, sledge, costume?

If it's for nursery then silly soup would be OK for a phonics focus as it's a phase 1 skill. if you are doing this with reception age then I would do something more aligned to a RTPA teaching sequence to be honest cos by now the children would generally be expected to have phase 2 fairly secured.

Cx

If it's for nursery then silly soup would be OK for a phonics focus as it's a phase 1 skill. if you are doing this with reception age then I would do something more aligned to a RTPA teaching sequence to be honest cos by now the children would generally be expected to have phase 2 fairly secured.

Cx

Thank you! Yes it is for Reception. Could you suggest any good activities?? My Current Pre-school children love the silly soup but I see how it may be a step backwards for reception.

If they have large community bricks or other items outside try adding 5 santa hats and possibly a set of differing size 'sacks' for making a sleigh or which size is best for filling and what fits in what. Did this for an OFSTED we had in the week before Christmas and it was well received by the inspector.

Just remembered I also put a pair of my husbands size 11 black wellies in a corner-lots of discussion about whose they were, why he had left them and trying on!!

If they have large community bricks or other items outside try adding 5 santa hats and possibly a set of differing size 'sacks' for making a sleigh or which size is best for filling and what fits in what. Did this for an OFSTED we had in the week before Christmas and it was well received by the inspector.

Just remembered I also put a pair of my husbands size 11 black wellies in a corner-lots of discussion about whose they were, why he had left them and trying on!!

Thanks for the idea! Would it be child initiated though? Not sure what equipment they have outside so whatever I need I will have to take with me!

I'm not sure how child initiated you can be in an interview situation with the limited time allowed.

Very true! Don't think schools realise how much thought goes into planning interview activities and lessons! Hard too when you don't know the children, what the outside area is like and how its resourced. Think I'm sorted though-providing dancing scarves, ribbons and instruments for outside and a puppet related phonics lesson, seeing the letter making the sound, writing the sound in the air and on hands. Helping the puppet to sort objects and playing Kims game.

:o

Thanks Biccy!

Hi fellow teachers, just to let you know I didn't get the Job today but the head said I was a close second and my lesson and interview technique was excellent so I'm both pleased and dissappointed at the same time but thank you to everyone who offered advice and ideas!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)