Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Life Made Easier!

I visit many settings and I am often told about tiny things that have helped the settings (PVI and Childminders) out and saved them so much time.

How do you feel about sharing these gems of information?

We are a pack away setting and when I joined the committee they were having to blu tack up pictures and then remove these every time there was an event in the hall.

One of the first things I did as chair was to invest in some display items - we have several medium and large blue felt boards with wooden frames (from Staples). To hook these up and down I used those hooks you get with net curtains (round bit on the wall, hook bit on the board). I also got some lengths of nylon curtain wire and we use these for our alphabet and number displays. Then I got some of those plastic picture pockets for A4 sized signs and drawings.

This was a bit of a financial investment but timewise it has probably already saved about the equivalent in staff time.

We are about to add a large whiteboard to our display options, either for posting up pictures or for the children to do mark making.

I am also in a pack away and use blu tack like its going out of fashion!

what helps save me time is to have tiny blobs of blu tack in various boxes around the hall

so when for example photos of toys have come off the box that are stored in, i have a blob in the cupboard where the toys are stored and can quickly replace it

I also have a blob in the box that holds our displays that we put up daily around the hall, eg time line,

I have a blob in the cup that holds the names of the children that maybe chosen to help in the morning

this all saves invetable trips to my draw to find the pack of blu tack

Ha ha Suer, I do the same, I have little blobs of blutak all over the place - quite often stuck discretely (sp?) by door frames etc. too because we stick children's pictures up or notices for very short times on cupboard doors etc.

I think the biggest time saver is just being well organised - my husband says, "Failure to prepare equals prepare to fail" - I try things out before i do them with the children, if they don't work in my kitchen I don't do it, use it or show it!!! and keep your routine as simple as you can, children quickly know what is happening or going to happen next which gives you more time to help those children for whom transitions are difficult.

We are packaway in a village hall and not allowed to put stuff on the walls :o what we did do was put a massive pice of string across the hall and put a hook at each side,( we painted the hooks so you cant see them! ) we hang allsorts on them and they look really good.

we are also in a pack away setting. We have one wall display board for the children's work but for labels and posters I laminate them and use velcro. I have put little bits of velcro descreetly around the hall (mainly on the white paintwork) it is much quicker than blu tack. Only trouble is children from the ballet classes have a tendency to peel them off from the radiator covers.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)