Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning In The Early Years

Hi

Can someone help? The Early Years team which I now help to coordinate adopted a planning format that we do because it is what we all came into to but looking at it more closely, we are not sure why! We do something at the beginning of each term called a pacer. I have attached it to make it more clear. We also submit a sheet at the beginning of each year which identifies topic areas that are used as a starting point before the children's interests take over. What do other people do?

KG_Pacer_Autumn_2009.doc

Blimey, that's really detailed for a long term plan! Or is this your medium term plan? I don't even do those (medium term) just have a long term 'overview' which is more showing how what we do links to the themes and principles. then we just do weekly planning so that we can follow the children's interests and take on board what we have noticed from the previous week's observations.

Thanks for that. Yes, we think that it is overly detailed too. How do you ensure that you cover all the strands that you want to over the course of a year or do you keep looking back and seeing where the gaps are as your learning journeys progress?

when children first start and at the beginning of every new term we do long obs 1 or 2 on each child

we do not operate a topic but just go with the flow

from those long obs come next steps for the children and possible topics that have interested the children

we do incidental and plannred obs for the children over the next few weeks planning for indiviual children and on a weekly basis. My key people do this for all their key children

themes may stay if children continued to be interested or change as other ideas crop up

the process continues in this cycle

I would say not, planning is done for the individual child in our setting and i would not write up one of your pacer's for each child and in our setting one pacer just doesnt cover all the children, as they a not lumped (for want of a better word) together

hope that makes sense

What we do is basically what was done last year, and the year before that and the year before ... etc etc. It's driving me potty! Sorry no help but it was the ideal opportunity for a grumble :o

my long term plans include things to cover eg christmas mothers day

but more importantly for me it covers what needs doing throughout the year in the setting

eg review policies re do risk assessments fire drills etc

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)