Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

I Can Statements For Reading

Hi does anyone have 'I can statements' for reading that will link with app levels thanx

This is the 2nd time I have seen APP levels mentioned on here today...I don't know what it means so i'm guessing i've missed something! can you enlighten me?

Jenny APP stands for Assessing Pupils progress and it is a tracking scheme for pupils from level one onwards. Should start sometime through Year one for most children. At out school Year One are are continuing with The Profile until the children are ready / reaching level then moving onto APP.

Don't know vast amounts about it as I am Early Years Co ordinator I whisk the early years staff away from staff meeting when they are focussed on this..... it does seem to be causing lots of staff issues!! No one seems to say ohhh goody APP!

S

Sharon I agree it is assessing pupil progress and it is the new assessment system for KS1 and KS2 using all of the principles we use for EYFS but they are only tracking 6 children and only in English and Maths.

There are set criteria for each level and you chose 2 above average children 2 middle and 2 below and they are your benchmark then you mark everyone else acoording to these 6!

I was at a conference in London and aske d the presenter wyh KS1 &2 only need to track 6 children when we track 30 children in 13 scales! he was a bit taken aback that I dared to question and his answer was that KS1 & 2 teachers were not familiar with observations so had to grow in confidence and start with 6 children.

Hmmm!!!!

However it is not suitable for reception and we certainly should not be using it our tracking is with the profile and the profile handbook should be our guide as well as the info on the QCDA website for foundation stage profile.

Emilia

What I don't 'get' is that if, for example, one of the chosen children is a level 3a in writing, that doesn't mean all the other children in that 'middle' group will necessarily be the same level - whatever happened to individuality??!! And it is all very well for the bloke at the conference to say teachers don't know about observations and need to start off with a few children, but I thought the 6 was so they didn't have to assess all of the children like that - rather than being 'eased into it'. That might not make sense but I know what I mean!

Can you tell I don't like APP?! Not that I am really using it - only have 2 year 1s, who are not yet ready for it, and even then I will continue to do the individual thing like with the rest of my class (YR).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)