Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help! Boisterous Boys In Reception

Unable to get outside because of weather. Team teach ,sometimes 56 children in area at once.Boys going stir crazy. Do I create larger clear areas for them ?. They love racing with the cars wrestling, power rangers . Our construction sets are not very inspiring . Basic Duplo, interstar,

Any ideas-----------please!!!!!!!!!

What about asking the parents to bring suitable clothing so you can go outside whatever the weather. I know I go crazy if i'm indoors all day, easier said than done I know :o

Helen Bilton says that there is no such thing as inappropariate weather only inappropriate clothing! Get hold of several pairs of wellies; paint the size on the sides (good for number recognition) and peg together. Then you won't need 56 pairs of wellies, just enough for a reasonable number of children. Some schools buy these weather suits which are a bit like baby grows! But they can be quite pricey. Outdoor waterproof coats and a change of trousers should suffice. You then need to convince parents - Early Education do a leaflet on outdoor learning called "Going out to play and Learn" that you can order for free or download. (http://www.early-education.org.uk)

In terms of inside - do you have a creative workshop where children can access materials and resources to make their own creations? (Use to be known as junk modelling). This is very successful - include string, glue, sellotape, scissors, hole punch, stapler (if you teach them the safety rules), etc. The boys often make power ranger bracelets etc. Tubes, bopxes, cartons, plastic bottles etc all work well.

Large cardboard boxes work very well!

Ramps for cars are good (ask parents for sanded down planks - you can get them cut in different lengths and also stick different surfaces on).

Hope some of this helps

In addition to the ideas above do you have access to the school hall? You could set up some sports and climbing equipment and a variety of obstacles so that they can let of steam that way. Or take them into the hall for a short while between other classes PE times and play team games, or circle games with lots of movement and running around involved.

Unable to get outside because of weather. Team teach ,sometimes 56 children in area at once.Boys going stir crazy. Do I create larger clear areas for them ?. They love racing with the cars wrestling, power rangers . Our construction sets are not very inspiring . Basic Duplo, interstar,

Any ideas-----------please!!!!!!!!!

I absolutely agree with Hey Jude - you can always find a way to go out - ask parents for wellies and waterproofs, a school I went to today had great fun with umbrellas. You could also ask them to bring in spare socks as these often get wet and need a change. You can say it is because you are doing science and maths - finding out which drips collect the most the quickest or which containers will hold the most rainwater in a certain time - or they could make a raincoat for teddy and test it out!

And indoors, again, I agree with Hey Jude - do you not have any bricks - was going to suggest making ramps for the cars (you could use the construction or recycled materials or set a challege to find out which makes the best ramp) and junk modelling never fails to keep the boys happy. Try and get into the Hall if you can and do apparatus or relays.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)