Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Writing In The Writing Area

Any tricks or tips to get my children actually writing at the writing area? I have all the usual exciting pens and notepads, as well as whiteboards and templates for things like letters and lists etc, plus blank paper (lined, squared and plain alternately). At the moment all the children want to do though is draw, they even turn over the pre-made templates and draw on the back of the pieces of paper, taking the markers and the felt tips to this area to do the drawings rather than using the laid out resources.

These are year one children and this is driving me crazy, there is a place for drawing, but these children really need to be mark making and writing at least some of the time. Also the head is really pushing for this and has asked me to introduce a weekly target to the area (such as 'write a shopping list' - linked to current topic, next week probably write a letter to Santa or a Christmas list or something.) The problem is the children really don't seem motivated to do this, even for a reward (only my most able child has done it, even though many are more than capable). Short of banning them from drawing altogether what can I do? Anything? Nothing? Should I even be worrying about this? (beyond worrying about what the head thinks of course!).

Would they label their drawings? - Could they draw/design a toy for a Santa's workshop and label the drawing. could they write signs or symbols for the outdoor area, if they really like drawing I feel the need to bring the two ideas together.

Any tricks or tips to get my children actually writing at the writing area? I have all the usual exciting pens and notepads, as well as whiteboards and templates for things like letters and lists etc, plus blank paper (lined, squared and plain alternately). At the moment all the children want to do though is draw, they even turn over the pre-made templates and draw on the back of the pieces of paper, taking the markers and the felt tips to this area to do the drawings rather than using the laid out resources.

These are year one children and this is driving me crazy, there is a place for drawing, but these children really need to be mark making and writing at least some of the time. Also the head is really pushing for this and has asked me to introduce a weekly target to the area (such as 'write a shopping list' - linked to current topic, next week probably write a letter to Santa or a Christmas list or something.) The problem is the children really don't seem motivated to do this, even for a reward (only my most able child has done it, even though many are more than capable). Short of banning them from drawing altogether what can I do? Anything? Nothing? Should I even be worrying about this? (beyond worrying about what the head thinks of course!).

Does an adult ever sit in this area and model what they can do? Not to actually lead an activity, but just to 'play' with the resources like shopping lists, and show the children what to do with them. Is it close to an area where it can be linked to role play to make it more relevant? There is no point to a shopping list if they can't go shopping for example...

Just a few initial thoughts, I am quite new to all this so please feel free to ignore!

Clare

Hi Kariana,

You say that they don't seem motivated to write, however if you can tap into their interests then perhaps you will have more luck? What sorts of things do motivate them in general terms and then maybe we can put our heads together and come up with some novel suggestions to get them writing. :o

Sometimes you can just tell children what to do and have an adult directed writing session?

If you wait for them to initiate it themselves, they might never do so!

I think in Year 1 this is really something they MUST be doing, my little boy's teacher certainly was last year, using the read write inc booklets.

What about adding a letter box, envelopes and lists of names? Could encourage them to write letters to each other and someone could deliver them at the end of the day - my Y1s love this. Good luck!

Thanks for all your suggestions! I love the idea of getting them to write letters to each other, the one time they were interested in writing was when we had a bunch of cards in there, but then it was only "To Mum (or whoever) from (child)" so it really wasn't getting them into writing that much. Labelling pictures sounds like a good idea and I might try it, but I know my class and given that choice they will spend all lesson drawing the picture and colouring it and never get round to labelling it, or will wander off after drawing. With the background they come from we are still getting them out of the habit of taking the easy option and getting them into the habit of doing something without being told 5 times that they MUST do it (like picking up after themselves - unless I catch them leaving a mess and tell them they will just leave stuff everywhere). I do feel that the only solution is to stop them from even starting to draw in the first place.

They are a lovely class and generally well behaved, it's just a matter of teaching them to become good learners and choosing to actually do things without being told.

Sometimes you can just tell children what to do and have an adult directed writing session?

If you wait for them to initiate it themselves, they might never do so!

I think in Year 1 this is really something they MUST be doing, my little boy's teacher certainly was last year, using the read write inc booklets.

I do focused writing activities in my lessons already! This is just an area in the continuous provision which they have access to and they need to be doing some writing within that as well.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)