Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

A Query About My Suitable Person Interview

Hello I have put this in policies and procedures as it sort of indirectly is referring to these.............tomorrow I have my suitable persons interview ( I have had one before in a previous job) and so part of this process is talking about the policies and procedures at the setting and being aware of the Welfare Requirements of the EYFS as far as I remember.....here's my problem.....as of two weeks ago I was 'Floor Manager' with a Nursery Manager that had Policies and Operational Plan within her job description well she has now asked the committee to change her job description and I am now Nursery Manager which is fine but I have scrutinised the Policies and the Op Plan (Hadn't got time to do that already in my previous capacity and presummed :o that this would be in order). So the whole weekend I have been rewriting Policies (most of the folder was out of date, hadn't been reviewed for two years etc etc-I had noticed this when I started but have been on very dodgy ground as to my responsibilities, however now I can get stuck in and get it all sorted out).

So with my Suitable Persons interview tomorrow - what policy folder do I refer to?

I have set up a whole new set of policies and handed them to the committee for their perusal and so officially I guess I have to wait for their response, but I don't want to show the Ofsted lady the policies that were available....it would be sooo embarassing and not how I would want to run the setting and I think that they are not my work

......I was thinking of explaining that the policies I have done are awaiting approval from the committee but are what I propose to use? (and hide the old folder in the paint cupboard!)

Do you think that will be ok?

Edited by Guest

I can't remember being asked to show our policies to Mrs Ofsted when I had my suitable persons interview - she just wanted to know what I would do in certain situations.

I think in your situation, if she does ask to see the policies I'd show her the ones you've drawn up for consultation with the Committee - and just explain that the ones you were given were not really reflective of your practice. Better to show her that you're prepared to review and reflect and change policies that aren't working than have her think you're working with outdated policies.

Good luck tomorrow - although I'm sure you won't need it!

Maz

Good luck.......and as above, they didn't actually ask to see my policies etc, just what I'd do in certain scearios, how I would handle suspected abuse etc. I would have both sets of ploicies available, just in case: show her the new ones, explain that you have re-vamped them and they are waiting final ok from committee.Show the old ones if asked: it will show how you are leading practice and making necessary changes,keeping up to date with current legislation/best practice.

And....it seems so obvious, i am almost embarrassed to say this: make sure you have your CRB clearance form with you! ( I know of someone who didn't,,,,,,,,VERY embarrassing for them)

Edited by narnia

It was really good and I did need the CRB so thanks again for that Narnia. It is quite refreshing to go through everything and I really felt I knew what I was talking about which is always a bonus! As for the policies she preferred me to refer to the ones I had created.

It would seem I am suitable! :oxD

Edited by Guest

Had I seen this yesterday I would have also agreed with everyone else, but as I didn't see it until now I just wanted to say well done instead. I'm still waiting for mine (although I guess I shouldn't say it too loudly!)

Well done Shirel - although there were no doubts that you were suitable, it is good to get Ofsted's stamp of approval!

Good luck for yours Holly, whenever it happens!

Maz

Hi there,

Just a thought on 'suitable person'. (Congratulations Shirel and good luck Holly). Has anyone had written feedback on what was actually written during that marathon 3 hour session? It would be interesting to know. I have since decided not to stay at my job and am now going abroad with a new one. Curious to know what is documented and whether it is transferable. Any thoughts?

Lesley :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)