Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Guided Writing?!

Hi, im new here and just have one question (although im sure i will have many more to come!)

right, im an NQT worknig in a nursery class. at the moment i teach my class maths, phonics (phase 1) as well as focus activities, targeting activities and also group times which include story time, song time, news time, topic based discussions and activites.

today i was told by my Foundation stage leader that i should also be delivering guided writing every week. is this correct? ive yet to come accross a school that have stated this, but, being an NQT i havent had too much experience of working in many foundation stage classes.

thank you for any help you can offer,

a very confused nqt :)

Unfortunately, if your school has that requirement, you may need to be very creative to get round it. I think you should ask her for more guidance in how to deliver this. its not something I would like to deliver but you might be able to get round it with some directed handwriting skills---not technically guided writing but Im not sure how else you can do it.

hmmm, yes, im struggling a bit with how i can deliver this, seeing as my children have yet to be introduced to letters.

she said that i should be doing guided sessions on what ever my literacy focus is for that week eg lists, captions, labels. i just dont see how my younger children will benefit from this as we are still trying to grasp basic motor skills still :o

thank you for your help though, was just a little worried as she seemed to think it was compulsory to teach guided writing in nursery.

lucy

No, its not and you dont need to have that sort of focus either. literacy and Numeracy framework is not statutory---EYFS is and there's nothing in that about guided writing. have you got an early years advisor that you can talk to?

i've yet to meet her and do not have any of her contact details :o

ive been fine up until now though. just got a little bit panicky today when i thought ive missed out on a big chunk of their directed teaching :S

im sure if i talk to my FSL tomorrow she will realise that its not actually needed in nursery, especially not so early on in the accademic year.

Hi Lucy and welcome to the forum. It appears that your FSL is expecting you to take more of a KS1 approach to literacy and no, guided writing is not statutory in the EYFS.

I would focus m energies on talking.. you cant write what you cant say, and in that vein you might be interested in a recent conversation we have had about talk fore writing

here

aww, thanks very much for that link to the other thread, :o

after speaking to my fsl ive convinced her to allow me to wait until the new term, where we will trial a suitable version of guided writing for the older children in our class. Hopefully by then i will be able to get my hands on write dance or something similar to use instead!

If she wants you to cover lists, labels etc, there are some fab role play style activities in the resources here that we have introduced as a directed activity in preschool and had some successful mark making fun with. For example, we had a big piece of sugar paper where the adult modelled writing a list to go on a journey. We had bags with props and the children called out things they like to take in the car etc, adult wrote them down in a list. We then left the bags and props and clipboards with list style paper on for the children to introduce into their play if they wished.

For labels, we have done the Dear Zoo activity suggested in the resources, where we read the book together, and then the children explored fitting animals into junk modelling boxes, and we looked at the labels on the boxes in the book, and encouraged them to make some marks on stickers to label their boxes as having a 'grumpy camel' etc on.

Does that help?! (I am new in a preschool by the way, but am working in reception as well with the school sometimes!)

Clare x

Edited by Guest

Someone needs to point out to your head that these are still young children. Boys particularly do not have nerve endings in their finger tips to be able to control a pencil until around 6-7 years. I agree find some dance moves, activities to strenghthen core muscle groups in readiness. - lets hope the country finally takes on board that children should not even start school until 6/7 where only then they will start to read or write - let alone get them to write in pre-school etc., so sad - probably looks good though for the league tables!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)