Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Starting Pre-school

We have a book called "This is Our Pre-school" that we show to new parents and children before they start with us. It has photos of children and staff at various activities, painting, gluing, looking at books, playing with the parachute, visitors to the Pre-school, having snack, etc. etc...... This shows them what sort of things we do at Pre-school but I would also like to introduce a little booklet for the child and parents to fill in telling us what they like and a bit about their family so that they can bring it in with them when they start or perhaps just before they start.

I was thinking about including family members, pets, interests, fav toys etc. At the moment these things are listed on our registration form that the parents complete. I wanted something a bit more child friendly - with pictures to colour perhaps? I don't want to put things in like "I can count to 10....I can tie my shoe laces...I can build a tower with 10 blocks"

Any ideas please?

Oh Sue what a lovely idea, i might pinch it sounds wonderful.

I have a leaflet for the family to complete i will send you a copy

Stella

How about my name is .... and I like to be called ......

(Many of our children are on the register in their full name but known by an abbreviation)

If you want them to bring wellies could you have a pic of a pair of wellies (easy to draw!) and ask them to colour them.

I have got .... sisters (space for them to draw?)

I have got ...... brothers (as above)

My favourite food is .............. but I do not like eating ....................

If you have any dogs, cats or other pets in your home we would like you to draw a picture of them.

Still thinking!!!!

Perhaps a page with pictures of different things - cars, dolls, painting, bricks, jigsaws etc and ask them to circle the one/ones they like best. You certainly don't want to make it too difficult or it might seem more like work! Our nursery sends each child home with a pack for the summer with a book (my first day at nursery), a simple sheet to fill out with the child (my family, favourite toy, favourite book etc.) and a picture of their 'mascot' with smaller laminated photos of items they will need to bring with them (plimsols, coat, happy face etc) which the child can blutak to the picture. Hope this makes sense!!

Thanks for the ideas. I'll have a good think and put some of the ideas together. I already have info such as how many in family, religious celebrations, people collecting child, etc. on registration form, so I'll start with fav toys, fav books, pets and I like the idea of colouring in the wellies. I'll think of a few other things - thanks for starting me off! :)

What is their 'mascot' beau?

Sue J

Some years ago (not sure how long!) they asked the children to draw a picture and chose one to be their mascot. It is a very wobbly looking bear and it has a name but it escapes me at the moment! It now appears on all their stationery, sweatshirts etc. The fact that one of the children drew it makes it very appealing. :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)