Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Lesson Observation Criteria Please

Hi everyone,

Do any of you know (or does your school use) a lesson observation proforma for grading observations under OFSTED criteria? Our primary school has one and the same criteria are used throughout all year groups.

What about observed lessons in FS2? Are you expected to have an objective, clearly defined in a starter, with a main session and then a plenary?

Feeling really fed up and cross about the uncertainty as to what is actually 'good' in early years. xD:o

My HT doesnt expect to see a 3 part lesson in year 1 although she does expect us to share learning objectives, success criteria and to have a plenary at some point in the day. Cant imagine those things are expected in FS.

I ahve the same issue in that the criteria for lesson obs is exactly that 'a lesson' and my reception class works on a whole day as opposed to a set of individual lessons. We've just had OFSTED and so i'm thinking that in future lesson obs our head will have to use their criteria for general EYFS provision (linked to SEF) and stay for a longer period of time.

Hope that helps and if you i'll be watching this strand for more ideas.

Drew

My HT doesnt expect to see a 3 part lesson in year 1 although she does expect us to share learning objectives, success criteria and to have a plenary at some point in the day. Cant imagine those things are expected in FS.

yes - was expected to teach literacy today. Did starter, main (where children were working on adult-directed tasks linked in someway to literacy). Each table was given their own goal to meet for 'success'. (I'm sorry but this is expected!) I actually manged to pur together some fairly exciting play based activities with one focus group writing with me. Children stayed on task and 'performed' well (bless them) for the observers. I then after 30 -40 minutes called everyone back to the carpet where I was expected to move learning forward.

I was told that I was satisfactory and that OFSTED would have said inadequate because the 'lesson objective was not clear'. That I shared an objective at the beginning of the lesson and come back to it at the end to show progress.

I actually did this for a lower ability group (one of 5 groups, all with different clearly discussed and displayed goals) because I was so proud of them, but not for the focus group. It's all wrong wrong wrong surely??????????????? Heeeeeeeeeellllllllllllpppppppppppp! How can I tell them this?

I ahve the same issue in that the criteria for lesson obs is exactly that 'a lesson' and my reception class works on a whole day as opposed to a set of individual lessons. We've just had OFSTED and so i'm thinking that in future lesson obs our head will have to use their criteria for general EYFS provision (linked to SEF) and stay for a longer period of time.

Hope that helps and if you i'll be watching this strand for more ideas.

Drew

sorry Drew, cross typed there. Do you know where an example of that criteria could be found? Desperate to take something to school. It wasn't the Head that observed by the way. The Head actually said my last ob (done in the same way - which I still think is wrong!! - was outstanding) Don't know whether Im coming or going! :o

Get your EYFS advisor in, suggest your HT visits some other reception classess because they'd see some VERY differnt practice. They are EYFS children not KS1!!!!!!!

Get your EYFS advisor in, suggest your HT visits some other reception classess because they'd see some VERY differnt practice. They are EYFS children not KS1!!!!!!!

Great idea Drew - will that annoy the Head though? - Do have quite a good relationship at the moment. Perhaps I could suggest it to head because of the discrepancy in evaluations of my lessons? What do you think?

Mine's just the gradings and criteria for OFSTED observations on one A4 sheet if you still want it.

I was given it at the meeting with our SIP last week.

Mine's just the gradings and criteria for OFSTED observations on one A4 sheet if you still want it.

I was given it at the meeting with our SIP last week.

Yes please Riverview, that would be so useful. Please could you e-mail to :*************

Edited by Guest
To remove email address - please use private messaging on the forum

The guidance can be find here

Thanks Mundia. That's the overall guidance but doesn't give specific guidance on what to 'tick off' when observing an Early Years lesson. Unless I'm being really stupid and there's another link that I just haven't found. :o

I've got the new Sept 2009 Ofsted criteria at school for both Primary and FS. If you can wait til Monday I'll scan and attach it.

I'd be interested in seeing it too!

Scanned it yesterday but it wasn't very clear...... will try again tomorrow on a different scanner and also try to get it off our SIP electronically.

Here it is...

post-6278-1259166757_thumb.jpg

Riverview, You are a superstar!

Thank you so much. That is really really useful. Can't wait to take it to school and show everyone!

:oxD:(:(:( :wacko:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)