Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pattern - Definition

We're just starting a chunk of work on pattern, and although I teach this every year, i am curious to know how you introduce the concept - how you define pattern? You know: we are learning about patterns; What do you think patterns are? Think, pair share; Patterns are....?

I'm not quite clear in my own head - it's too full of stuff and sleepy! One idea was that a pattern is something that can go on and on and on ad infinitum, but you can recognise a geometric pattern with no repeats at all - it is still a pattern. Another idea is that it is something beautiful that is not a picture.... hmmmm, not sure about that either - what about sculpture etc?

I know you will all have this summed up in a sentence - I feel a bit dense! Could you help?

Thanks!

Emma x

We're just starting a chunk of work on pattern, and although I teach this every year, i am curious to know how you introduce the concept - how you define pattern? You know: we are learning about patterns; What do you think patterns are? Think, pair share; Patterns are....?

I'm not quite clear in my own head - it's too full of stuff and sleepy! One idea was that a pattern is something that can go on and on and on ad infinitum, but you can recognise a geometric pattern with no repeats at all - it is still a pattern. Another idea is that it is something beautiful that is not a picture.... hmmmm, not sure about that either - what about sculpture etc?

I know you will all have this summed up in a sentence - I feel a bit dense! Could you help?

Thanks!

Emma x

Thanks!

Emma x

A pattern is "a model to be copied", "a shape to be copied in making something", "a sample", "an artistic arrangement of repeated or corresponding parts", or "give artistic shape or design to" according to the Oxford English Dictionary!

I think in terms of maths a pattern is something that follows a set rule, and is therefore predictable, so any puzzle around it can be solved if you know the rule. In a repeating pattern you know what comes next. In a matrix pattern you can fill a gap if you know the criteria. In a counting pattern such as 1 through to 9 you know that after 9 you know that 10 units is written as 10, 1 set of 10 units and 1 more is written as 11 etc. ad infinitum.

Hi Emmajess

Your very interesting question sent me looking on google. I found a good animated site on www.linkslearning.org/Kids/1.../2 Patterns/index.html. Very clear bullet point explanations with graphics.

HTH

Lesley

You're very kind to say it was an interesting question rather than just me being dense!

I used one of Marion's links and focussed on the concept that something needs to be copied. We've done lots of different kinds of visual patterns and this idea has helped the children (and me) see how they are all similar. This is the first year that I have taken pattern as a whole, rather than a discrete time on repeating patterns, a discrete time on symmetry, patterns in the environment, animal patterns etc. I've always worried that they might muddle each other but they've really enhanced one another and i've really enjoyed it. Musical patterns was a particular highlight!

I think this concept will go on to work for number patterns for my more able after Christmas as JacquieL said.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)