Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Child Initiated V Teaching Time?

Hi

I am very new to this and this is my first post. I am absolutely at my wits end. I feel like I cant possibly work any harder/more. I am in a school where FS2 results are below LA and national. At the moment the chn seem to do loads of free play since I joined (am NQT). I dont want to sit the chn down and force things down their neck but have introduced a literacy, numeracy (in mornings) and a another(atfernoons) unless can double up like making collages of Ugly Ducklings this week can also be Literacy. The MTP for us as a setting is not working and our leader acknowledges this. I know things need changing as not enough teaching going on but I am driving myself mad going round in circles. I would like to have a continuous plan for all my areas where the chn can access the resources they choose but worry it will not then be linked to whatever the topic/theme is. I want to concentrate on the teaching as i am very conscious of my first year also producing crap results. Please help?? Any ideas welcome, just need to see what i should/shouldn't be doing so I can get on with it?

Ta x

Welcome from me too! You have come to the right place for some guidance. Have you talked to your LEA advisor, maybe you could visit another school and see how they do things? Remember that by playing alongside and supporting, your children will be learning things in a way thats right for them. Good luck! :o

Welcome Donnagreen1!

Just wanted to say that I was an NQT last year so I know what you mean when you say you feel you can't work any harder. It will get better I promise! And this forum is fab for ideas!

I am in nursery so can't offer much help about reception i'm afraid. But don't get too disheartened, I'm sure you are doing a brilliant job. And always remember to ask for advice from anyone and everyone - your mentor, other teachers, early years advisors etc. I didn't ask for nearly enough help early on - think I felt that it would make people think I couldn't cope - but once I started asking I've never stopped!

Good luck.

You need to speak to your NQT mentor and get them to build in - as part of your NQT CPD, visits to other FS2 settings with experienced teachers so you can see godd practice in operation - your ET advisor will know the leading practitioners to see.

I am in charge of a FS unit and If you want to contact me, send your planning, see my planning please do so - only too willing to help - don't worry or suffer in silence, you are doing a good job but sometimes its hard to see the wood etc etc!

Jenni