Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Website - What's On Yours?

I've just been using a free site called weebly.com (very good) to create a website for our setting. So far my pages are: home, staff, timetable, newsletters, policies, EYFS, ofsted, links and contact. Can anyone think of anything else that I've missed?

Also, what do you do about uploading things like staff names to your website? I'm obviously going to ask them, but I do wonder about this. I'm not even going there with photos of the children, so that's not a worry. (I can always photograph some of their paintings for added colour!)

The other issue is that our contact number is my leader's mobile phone, and again I'm not sure that should go online. Plus which email address do we use (just thinking of spam!)

I'd really appreciate any advice as to what others do.

Hi Suzie,

I've never used weebly, but I assume its a template sort of thing that you add your content to. I design sites from scratch myself - it gives me more flexibility on the look and content.

Once the site goes live, you could pop a link on here and we can all take a look - that would probably be the best way to get some opinions.

Your content looks good - what about adding some directions to the setting?

Re the staff, I like the idea of listing staff info - you might ask staff if they mind you uploading a picture of them, and getting them to write a short 'About Me' section that you can copy and paste into their page.

As for the phone number, you could think about getting a Skype account and buying yourself a cheap skype phone - its a cheap way of getting your own number. Then again, what about buying a cheap mobile and using that?

As for spam, and which email address you should use - weebly may offer a dedicated email account, or filtering for spam.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with!

All the best,

duggy.

Thanks duggy you're obviously an expert (I'm definitely not).

Yes it's a free template site, I wanted something really easy to use so others can edit it as well.

I will add in a google maps link for directions, good idea there.

Don't know much about skype phones (well don't know anything really!) can you give me a quick rundown on that? Would it be cheaper than a normal mobile?

on our site we have :-

introduction - brief run down of our setting -downloadable parent guide

management - committee details, staff details

admissions - our admissions policy and other details - registriation forms etc

contact details

term dates

newsletters

photo gallery - of children engaging in various activites and trips etc (with parents permission ) also photos of the setting and staff

fundraising - brief rundown of why we fundraise - how much each past event has raised and dates of future events

Hi Suzie,

A cheap mobile would probably be your best bet. Skype is good if you need a 'land line' type number. Some people like the idea of a land line number as some clients are still too tight to call a mobile number (like my Mum).

Still, if you've been doing OK on having a mobile for contact so far, you may as well stick with it. You only need a really basic phone for taking calls on so it should be nice and cheap.

What email address are you going to be using for the site? Is it one you already have, and if so, who's it with? i.e. Goggle, Yahoo, etc.

Cheers,

duggy.

Edited by Guest

I'll probably set up a separate email address for preschool, haven't quite decided that yet. I guess we all need to be able to log in so hotmail or similar might be best.

Thanks for the info about your site rolymo, that's really helpful.

OK,

I'd recommend gmail from Google - it's a great mail bundle and you'll also get lots of other useful features with it, such as the calendar. All my staffing, children, meetings, etc are planned on Google Calendar - then we can share it with all staff.

Google will also handle the spam filtering for you, so that should sort that out.

All the best,

duggy.

I never liked the idea of someone's personal phone number used as a contact for pre-school..

we bought a cheap £10.00 pay as you go phone for this.. ours had no camera, which was a deliberate decision but don't know if they are available without these days...

that way it could be turned off out of hours and we could not be phoned at unsociable times... I did leave ours on and the number of people who rang weekends or late at night really was surprising..

Our email was a hotmail account.. until some kind parent bought us our own domain name and set up a site for us with our own personal email addresses.. it worked really well as a couple of us could use it and it was not just one persons responsibility to check.. parents used it a lot to send messages and ask for info.

we did have staff details on there with photo.. with permission and children's pics also with permission..

otherwise think you have most of the things we had.

we did have a calender on ours, which gave term dates, special events etc and I do know parents found this very useful, several commented on liking this feature.

Inge

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)