Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Open Doors

We are in a new building (opened Sept 08). We have two rooms (risings 4s in one and risings 3s in the other) and they have free flow by using the outdoor area. HOWEVER, this means leaving the doors open and that means all the heat escaping, so it is getting cold in the room and a lot of electricity is being wasted trying to heat the rooms.

It's been suggested that we instal some 'PVC flaps like the kind you get in garden centres'. Has anyone else done this? Does it bother the children having to go through them? Does it work? Does anything else work?! And what are they actually called? I did a google and it came up with cat flaps (tempting, but ...)!

Is there anything about this anywhere else on the forum? I did a search on PVC door flaps here too but it didn't come up with anything, which doesn't mean it isn't hiding somewhere ...

Thanks.

I bought ours from www.freeflowcurtains.com (bit of a technophobe so cant do the link; sorry!)

Havent put them up yet but I do know they make a difference in our sister nurseries!

If you do a search on butcher's curtains you will get a hit.

We use these and find them fantastic. Children like them and after the initial playing around with them they are now just another piece of furniture. Can't remember where ours came from but the forum search will probably have details.

Hi, we use the foam u-shaped thingies - that stop children shutting their fingers in the door. It means that the door can't shut completely but even our 2 year olds can open it when they want to go in.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kiddiproof-Anti-Sl...k/dp/B000FKM9NQ

There are loads of this type of thing on the market if you google. I think I got ours from a £1 shop!

:o

We invested in some for our out door dree flow door from a compancy called pro door think link is www.pro-door.co.uk . Children have no problems with them and go in and out all the time. My only issue is trying to keep them clean.

Hope this helps.

Thanks! We're going to start usingthe U-shaped door stoppers ASAP, and will further investigate the butcher's curtains. The picture on the freeflow site looks much more appealing than the picture created in our minds by the idea of garden centres (where they are often grimy) ... and morgues!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)