Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Christmas Party

Evening All,

We are a pre-school and are registered for 16 children but have 25 on role.

We want to have a Christmas party and invite all the children. We have enough staff to be in ratio but would go over registration.

How do other settings get around this one?

Do I have to ask 9 parents to stay?

We will be using the big hall as well as our room so space wise it will be more than adequate but when we registered we only included our base room when numbers were calculated for registration.

We usually invite all children of the pre-school, but only those that are usually in on that particular day can be left, the others must have a parent stay, so that we do not go over our registration numbers or ratio. Our last few parties, most parents wanted to stay anyway. A lot of our children are funded and the party would be included as a funded session on the last day of term.

This year, because of the amount of children we have attending we have decided to hire out a local soft play area designed for children's parties. We have still had to do this over 2 days, but we have requested that parents stay (which the majority of them always do anyway).

We have had to do this because of the size of the hall we are in, it would not hold all of the children (we have around 60 in total) comfortably. Let alone keeping them entertained!!

Ring Ofsted for their advise-we have similar situation in that we are having to move to another venue (school across road) to hold an afternoon session as school want to use village hall for their Christmas dinner. Ofsted were fine with us being at school and said we can actually hold upto X amount of sessions per year as obv this issue will occur every year as we are in village hall across road for school which is small so they use hall for plays etc. Whether it made a difference that we used to be registered for sessions in the school hall I don't know but its worth asking

:o HI just to say after reaing this link I have today rung up both ofsted and our insurance company. Both have made a note of our party date and Ofsted said make sure we have completed a risk assessment. They said they don't send out temporary registration certificaytes for parties and accnowlegde that on the odd occation this will happen.

Hope this helps

my advise give them a call

Just to report back, rang Ofsted and PLA today as we are registered for 20 but have 26 children on our books. Ofsted are fine about a one-off party where we will exceed our numbers, but want the aforementioned risk assessment emailed to them with the full details of the party, ratios etc. PLA Insurance were happy and said we were covered cos Ofsted was happy. I don't need to put anything in writing for them - painless!