Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nvq3 Changes In Qualification

Hi there,

I am a bit confused and hope you can help......

We have a member of staff currently NVQ2 who wants to do NVQ3 but I understand that the courses/qualification is changing in Sept. 2010?

From what I understand there is going to be a new more general NVQ3 qualification that is modular and people from different background e.g social care, education, youth/play work take the various modules that they need and put them together to get the level 3.

Am I understanding it right? How do you find any info. on it, what is this new course called? The colleges don't seem to know what they are doing next year.

We don't know how best to advise this member of staff. Should she do an NVQ3 in Children's Care and Learning now or wait until September for the new mystery qualification?

Our county are not funding NVQ3 this year so it will cost us £1200. We want to get it right.

62 people have read this but no one has replied.........

Does that mean we are all in the dark or could anyone please advise me?

Thanks

Edlee

Hi!

Well, like the others I have heard nothing of this!

As you are funding this yourselves, I can understand the concern. Why don't you approach training provider to see what they know?

Sue

I had been told about 2 years ago that the NVQ3 was to be phased out by my assessor, however then she had no information about what was going to be replacing it.

Mid summer a friend tried to book onto a level 3 course but was told it was already full (which I found a bit strange) and she was told she needed to do a course that was specific to EYFS but I don't know what the proper title was, sorry.

One of our staff has an assessment in the setting next week, I'll see if her assesor knows anymore, but we haven't been told about it.

CWDC are currently trying to determine the exact make up of the new level 3 qualification, and working with training providers to try to do this I believe. There is a deadline of Sept 2010 for introducing the qualification and it is as you understand it, with core units for people working in all aspects of childcare and associated professions, and then sector specific modules which the student chooses as they go along. I don't think you will find many people who have a complete answer to what it will be exactly yet, as it is still in the development stages but I guess CWDC website would be a good place to be looking. As far as I know any level 3 qualification currently deemed full and relevant on the qualifications checker, as the NVQ you mention would be, will still be relevant but new students will not be able to sign up for the old style courses after Sept 2010.

• 3 months later...
Guest jenpercy

I note at the bottom of the article that it says that OFSTED will not necessarily grade us as inadequate if the staff haven't got level 3. My question is can I make them redundant vefore or after the OFSTED inadequate>>>>

"CWDC is working closely with awarding organisations to develop the new Level 3 Diploma for

the Children and Young People's Workforce, to launch in September 2010.

The Diploma is being developed to further our ambition to create a respected, children and

young people's workforce who make a positive difference to children, young people and their

families.

Also to meet the ambition of the 2020 Children and Young Peoples Workforce Strategy to

aspire to a minimum level 3 and graduate-led workforce.

In addition the Children's Plan set out an aspiration that the children and young people's

workforce should be graduate-led and qualified to Level 3, where appropriate.

(2020 Children and Young People Workforce Strategy, page 35).

We intend to make the Level 3 Diploma for Children and Young People’s Workforce the only

level 3 qualification for the Early Years (EY), Social Care (SC) and Learning & Development

Support Services (LDSS) workforce in England in the future".

Is this what you're referring to?

the nvq level 3 ccld did not include EYFS as such as so i topped it up with the CACHE level 3 certificate in early years foundation stage if that's any help?

I got a call from the Pre-School Learning Alliance a couple of days ago who are running the NVQ3 course in September. I did not ask for details on the phone as they said they would send me all the details. I think she did say that it was all college based but have not had the information yet so can't be sure. Might be worth giving the Alliance a call, mrsW.x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)