Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Induction Pay

Can I ask what other committee run settings do regarding paying for induction? Is an induction day (going through all paperwork, h&s, initial policies, code of practice, etc, and NOT included in ratios) paid for and counted as the first day of work? Does anyone have a policy regarding withholding the pay for induction until the end of probation or end of contract if short-term or end of the year, OR of deducting induction pay if the staff member leaves within a certain time, and, if so, what wording do you use and is it in the offer letter or contract or both? We have had experience of a staff member doing their induction day and then leaving (! not sure what scared her off!!!) and also of people coming in and doing a week and then leaving. But there is so much to 'induct' these days that it takes at least those 3 hours to do the basics, and sometimes we take people on just for 3-6 hours a week.

Thanks!

As part of a small chain we have to do a corporate induction which is 2.5 hours long (approx) and informs new staff of how the nurseries work and link in to everything else, this is known as day 1 induction and they get paid for it. Day 2 is their actual 1st day in the nursery and covers everything you mentioned above. So I would say yes they should be getting paid for it!

We paid for the time, but paid our wages monthly, so they were usually with us at least 3 weeks before being paid,

if pay day fell after a week we did pay the wage as we felt that they had worked the hours and could not think of any other profession which would expect induction in your own time unpaid until being employed for a period of time.

On a personal note, if a job asked me to do induction unpaid, or any other permutation of paying back or time worked before paid etc I would think twice about taking it.

I know it is hard when working to a budget, but I believe to be taken seriously as a profession these things have to be taken into account in budgets.

Inge

sorry just a quick edit to say I worked in a committee run setting.

Edited by Inge

I know it is hard when working to a budget, but I believe to be taken seriously as a profession these things have to be taken into account in budgets.

Inge

Hear! Hear! Inge.

Our induction days are paid for too. When I did mine it lasted 3 hours and we got the normal hourly rate.

I think it should definitely be paid (I'm committee chair) - they get poor enough wages as it is! Is there something going wrong at the recruitment stage if you've had these problems with staff not staying? Do they understand the nature of the job fully? Did you get references ahead of employing them?

New staff joining our setting also get paid for their induction time. I usually ask the applicant to interact with the children

for half an hour before their interview, just to get a feel of how they relate to them.

Once the position has been accepted, I invite them to pre-school prior to their start date to shadow either myself or my supervisor throughout a morning session so she gets to know where resources and equipment are and to meet the staff beforehand.

Within their first two weeks of starting, paperwork and profiiles etc are introduced slowly throughout their time with us

so knowledge is built on, in bite size pieces.

I feel that this process works well in our committee run, village hall setting and staff only seem to move on to progress in

their careers.

dottyp

I agree that it is good to pay - just wanted to check what is the norm. Once someone actually stays with us and settles in, they tend to stay a long time, and we don't have much turnover with permanent staff. The issues we have had have tended to be with people being taken on for just a few hours or on a short-term contract, and perhaps, thinking about it, living a drive away rather than very locally, who have then gone on elsewhere. It is frustrating because the recruitment/references and then induction process takes up a lot of time.

Thanks everyone.