Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Preschool Routine

Hi everyone

I hope we have all enjoyed Halloween with the kiddies or friends and family.

I am looking to change my Preschool routine as I seem to be in a rut and it aint working for the children and staff sometimes cannot be bothered to do certain things.

In my current routine i have breakfast/free play, circle time, free play with rolling snack, key person group time (which never happens with some staff!!!), outdoor play, story time, lunch, outdoor play, free play/ adult initiated activities, story time, tea and outdoor play.

I just feel it doesnt work whether its the structure of it or there is too much. I would love any ideas or examples that I could look at.

Thanks

Alison :o

we only have a three hour session but ours is

self registration then free play. singing/ music then small group (snack is rolling snack for an hour during free play) we then have free play again until about fifteen minutes from end when we have tidy up and story. we do have free flow throughout the session.

Have you asked your staff what they think would be the best routine for the children? If your present routine isn't working and some staff are not contributing as they are supposed to, it sounds as if you may have demotivated staff. If so, no routine you impose will mend matters. Is there any way you could free up one staff member, who is liked and respected by the others, to observe for a session and report at a staff meeting on what worked and what didn't? This makes things more objective and gets away from the perception that you as manager are 'having a moan' and/or trying to pile more work on the staff.

Have you asked your staff what they think would be the best routine for the children? If your present routine isn't working and some staff are not contributing as they are supposed to, it sounds as if you may have demotivated staff. If so, no routine you impose will mend matters. Is there any way you could free up one staff member, who is liked and respected by the others, to observe for a session and report at a staff meeting on what worked and what didn't? This makes things more objective and gets away from the perception that you as manager are 'having a moan' and/or trying to pile more work on the staff.

Thanks I may try the approach to staff and will deff get someone to come and observe the session and feedback to myself.

Every setting is different so what works in one place may not in another

we are open for 2 3/4 hours in a pack away

the children self register

we have a 10 min welcome time which includes singing

then we free play for the rest of the morning - this include rolling snack bar and key staff (who work with their key children on set days) - includes free flow

we stop at 11. 15 to tidy away we then meet in 3 story groups for stories, letters and sounds, singing and sharing

children then go home at 12

we do not have adult focus time at all

children are invovled in preparing snack, setting up outside, putting on and taking off boots and coats

rolling snack bar and free flow was one of the best moves we made but it is also about reflecting on how you run your sessions and how enabling your environment is, children change frequently and what routine suits one year may no the following

also i would say to you, if you are the manager then manage, tell your staff what and why you are wanting to do some thing

involve them at creating the change and give them the respsonsibilty

enlist the help of your eyat

go and visit other settings and see how they work and what might work for you

good luck

each member of staff get an alocated day to do long obs, well being and involvement scales, move children on devise next steps and so on, incidental or post its are done all the time,

2 staff have to work on the same day but thats fine

I did this so that key people can have a day that they do nothing else but key work and also that all staff are not heads down doing key work and no one is watching ratios, snack toilets etc

works very well

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)