Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Lunch Time Drama's

Hi,

What do you do when a child refuses to eat, or even try any of their lunch, saying they dont like it? Do you give in and prepare something else for them?

We have this several times a week with different children, and are not sure if its a knock on effect from the 1st in the week, or the child genuinely doesnt like whats in front of them... but surely not everything in the plate?

Also one older child is refusing to try anything at all (usually on packed lunches). Preparing something else for the child is causing problems with the other children in the group, as they want what hes having then, and i feel that we are giving in to easily, but not wanting to cause a problem with food in general with him xD

I'd be grateful of any suggestions, or ideas of what anyone else does.

Thanks,

Ali :o

sorry no,.. this older child is with us for holiday care. so far we have had jacket potato with a choice of fillings, chicken and rice, with 2 choices of sauce, 2 types of soup with meatballs and crusty bread. and each time he's said he doesn't like any of it and wont have anything (until we make him something else which he eats!)

the other children are all 3-4yrs and always have lunch with us.

also we dont have a seperate chef, its my other supervisor that cooks, and yes ive tasted it :o and im quite picky, but it was nice.

Could you speak to the parents about it - is he always fussy or is he just being awkward?

Could they provide a packed lunch if he is refusing to eat what has been provided.

I used to be quite fussy but if I was given something by people other than my family I used to try and eat it as I didn't want to make a fuss - it sounds like he is trying to use food as a controlling factor.

I agree that this could be about control and I think you are more likely to cause food issues by jumping through hoops to get him to eat. I work on the principle that it is there if you would like to try it, if not get down from the table and sit quietly with a book while everyone else eats. The lack of attention usually works wonders and you can always add a fruit snack to the routine later to make sure that he's not too hungry.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)