Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Big Writing

I am hoping that someone on this lovely site could help me. I have to do BIG writing with my Reception age childtren. Does anyone do this already? How do you go about it? How do you organise it?

Is there anyone who could share copies and examples of their planning with me?

Any help would be appreciated!!!!! :o

You need to look on the Andrell site for Big Talk as this is aimed at reception and Y1 (pre Big Writing) if you check their forum Alistaire will be able to help you.

I'm not sure if I have the information at home or school but if I find it I'll add here.

Thanks - I had a look on the Andrell site and got more ideas. But .... I am unsure of how to actually plan the lessons - so wondered if anyone could share a copy of their plans with me? I seem to be at a standstill with it!!! :o

Thanks

I did the training in September and in Reception the autumn term should be Big Talk + GHaSP

Then in the Spring term begin 10 min Big Write for those children who are ready from January every 2 weeks (in groups not whole class) plus GHaSP

My notes must be at school but I highly recommend the course if anyone has the opportunity to attend ... Big Learning for Little People

I was looking on the site too and noticed that there is a course for EYFS practitioners - do you think it is appropriate for preschool settings?

Maz

Alistair who runs the course (In Out In Out Shake It All About?) is very early years friendly and experienced in working in early years. The course is very new (hasn't been delivered anywhere yet) so I'm not sure on the content or suitability.

Coincidently it was Alistair who inspired us to become a FSU ...

You could email him for details?

You could email him for details?

I will. I have £750 GLF in my deposit account which is designated for training, so am looking for some high quality training either for all the staff (6 of us at present) or just for me and my deputy.

Maz

Thanks for the promotion Marion! Hope all is still going well at school.

Emmalou - email me alistair.bryce-clegg@andrelleducation.com and I will see if I can sort you out with what you need to know.

The basic thing to remember is that 'if a child can't say it then they can't write it'. Much of what we do in Early Years to prepare children to be writers has to be based around talk. Historically we have spent too much time on the 'mechanics' of writing rather than filling children's heads with something to write about.

Big Writing was devised as a Key Stage Two model and has amazing impact when taught well. You cannot apply the same model to FS/KS1 as on the whole the children will not be ready for it and it will not work.

Big Talk for Big Writing is the approach for FS/KS1 that links into the KS2 model. It concentrates on creating planned opportunities for quality talk as well as looking at the issues of when a child is 'ready to write' and how do you know? If they are not ready then what can you do to help them get ready in a way that is going to engage and inspire them not bore them to tears!

As training days go it is one that is really packed full of more than I am able to write now, so if you want more info drop me a line.

Plans for the launch of In, Out, In, Out Shake it all About are going well. This course is nothing to do with Big Talk or Big Writing but is me wearing my other hat as an Early Years Consultant. The course looks at all aspects of EYFS (or as many as we can fit in!) From effective planning and planning formats, truley child initiated learning, using the outdoors, observations that inform planning, how themed should your curriculum be, How can you get the best talk out of role play, Transition into Y1...to name but a few.

Also working with Claire Warden (Mindstretchers) on a conference that we will be co-delivering in May next year based around learning outdoors. So loads going on.

Any questions... I am happy to help

Alistair

Alistair Bryce-Clegg

(MIMO - Miss It, Miss Out!)

Also working with Claire Warden (Mindstretchers) on a conference that we will be co-delivering in May next year based around learning outdoors. So loads going on.

Any questions... I am happy to help

Alistair

Alistair Bryce-Clegg

(MIMO - Miss It, Miss Out!)

Sounds very interesting - what are my chances of twisting Danny's arm?

I can vouch for a very full fun packed day on the Big Talk training lots to think about ... it's worth it just to see Alistair demonstrate letter formation with his fairy wand and don't even start me on his dark secret :o

After reading this post I am very intersted in Big Talk and using it with my Reception children. Does anybody have any planning with using Big Talk in Reception? I wouldn't have any idea where to start - looked on Andrell website and noticed a book should be out soon on Big Talk which i'll definitely be purchasing.

Thanks

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)