Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Continuous Provision

Hi guys, this might seem a really obvious answer, but i'm really struggling to get my head around something, and i am hoping you guys with all your wealth of experience and knowledge can help me out.

This half term, Ive had all the usual continuous provision out for the chn, water, sand wet and dry, small world, construction etc....but it has stayed very much the same. Every week am i meant to change it? For example the water area, i have out everything on the shelves for chn to access independently, as and when they want to explore it, rather than me putting out certain equipment. These are natural materials (shells, stones, sponges etc) floating and sinking equipment (boats, sponges etc) sea animals, water pumps, pouring equipment, different size containers, buckets, bowls etc. But then i read on the forums about enhancing these areas of continuous provision weekly, and I'm not sure how i can enhance it even more. Have i got to much out, i always thought it would be nice for the chn to access stuff as and when they want. The area doesnt look over crowded like it sounds...promise, things are placed in lovely colour co ordinated tubs.

The construction bricks aswell, how can you enhance that area? by suggesting chn make certain things maybe, i'm very confused.

So basically in a nut shell, i'm just asking in CP Areas, every week do you have to change it. i.e in the mark making area, along with all the equipment how else can you add enhancements. Maybe i've got the wrong understanding of enhancements. Please help me.

I have areas that do have enhancements e.g woodwork area, music area, speaking and listening area, travel agents, outdoors lots of reclaimed materials from garages etc.

dying to hear your responsesxxxx

Hi Miss Pink,

I'm an NQT and just read ur post. I feel I am having this problem at the minute. I have just set up my areas so the chn are able to access resources independently. My understanding of it is that you don't have to change every area each week, although u may change things slightly. For example maybe take the sponges out of the water one week and change it for something else. The teacher who was in reception last year had too much out and I found the chn got bored of playing with the same toys all the time. I've taken some away (although there is plenty of choice) and make sure I saw things around at least once every 3 wks. I'm not sure this is correct but as I say that's my understanding.

Another example is in the writing area I have all the necessary equip out for the children however sometimes I enhance it with a clipboard. Although it is only a minor enhancement I am surprised at the outcome. The children love a change! As I say this is only my understanding. I would love any pictures of anyones areas and how they are arranged at the moment. I'm struggling for ideas.

Hope I have been some use xxx

The enhancements is one of our focuses this year too so I will be interested in other peoples responses. What about putting photos of certain things in the construction area - it may inspire them. Glitter, sequins, food colouring in the water tray. The glitter and sequins could also be added to the sand tray as well as coins like buried treasure. You could hide something linked to your topic/their interests. Do you have any sandscapes that you could put in the tray?

Others may have more ideas.

The way I do it is to have the usual stuff out but observe HOW the children are using it. For instance I noticed a boy with his head on the ground watching the wheels of the car he was pushing, so I provided some other things for him to enhance his play. We 'drove' the car through some puddles on the path so he could make marks with the tyres, then through a bit of damp sand and then we made some ramps with cardboard and he let the car roll down making mucky marks on the card. So I just enhanced his experience. Now I've looked out some different wheeled toys for him to do the same thing with and I might see if he's interested in making some wheeled things with boxes etc.

I don't see it particularly as taking things away and rotating things, more enhancing what's usually there to extend experiences.

Thanks to all for your speedy responses, you have definaetly clarified it for me. Yeah I'm an NQT aswell, coming to trhe end though, just wanted a bit of guidance there. One of my focuses for next term for sure. In the past, when a child has shown a particular interest in something, like you Cait I have extended their learning. There was a child last year who bought in a blue balloon, all the chn loved it so the following day, in comes Mick Inkpen story 'The Blue Balloon' and we read the story, all the chn found soggy blue ballooons in the wayter trough, we blew them up then went outside and tried wacking it, running it over, etc just like the story. The chn loved it and so did our head when there was balloons popping all over and some taking off. But i guess doing things like that is enhancements aswell hwey

thankyou all, xxxx

We have basic provision and one basket in each area for 'extention'. We add to this in response to observing children or to extend a learning thread. That can change daily or be for a week or 2.Our weekly provision plans list the extention activities only and the long term plan lists the basic provision resources.