Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Foundation Degree

Hi

a while ago some members will recall mr asking about the CPD (certificate in poroffessional deveolpment) I enrolled but there were not enoufgh numbers to run the course ... 2 terms on still waiting.

Had a letter through today asking me to enroll in The foundation degree course focusing on birth to three and foundation stage they are expecting this to be qualifacation to be endorsed by Sure Start.

Which do i go for... really stuck now......help :o

Hi Hali

I'm doing a Foundation Degree and I'm really enjoying it. It's hard work, you need to do a lot of background reading, but you really feel like you will achieve something worthwhile at the end.

I'm doing semi-distance learning. I attend lectures one evening a week run by the college lecturers but they come to our county's local education training centre, rather than us having to trek 80 miles to the college.

The F.D. has modules in professional development as well as going into more depth about the subject of child development, etc

I would recommend it!

Magpie

I'm sure you'll be able to cope Hali. :D It's just a question of whether you want to make that commitment at the moment as I understand it's quite time consuming. On second thoughts - do it and report back to the rest of us. :oxD

Who's too old for the FD????

Me, possibly!

I'm doing it with the OU, so it's all distance learning. Tutorials are held every month or so, though. So it doesn't feel like complete isolation.

I have completed very little so far - two 30-point courses - towards the 240-point total. So I'm a quarter of the way there - three quarters to go. However, these two 30-pointers have given me an "interim" NVQ4-equivalent qualification, and I'll soon get a certificate to prove it.

The first two courses have not been especially challenging, but they haven't been boring either. The next one I'm doing is "personal and professional development" and it starts in a couple of weeks. Some feelings of trepidation at the moment - having just recieved the first batch of course materials!

I have the first tutorial in two weeks (the tutors and other students are tremendously supportive). I'm sure that will allay many of my fears.

Based on my experience with the OU, I'd certainly recommend the FD route.

Good luck to all.

Diane.

Hey Diane,

One of my units this term is called "Reviewing professional skills". Perhaps we should get together online and .... now whats the buzz word??... aaah yes 'thought cascade' the subject as we seem to be covering similar topics!!

The other unit that I'm doing, this term, is 'The function of play- how children learn', this involes researching play theorists such as Montessori, Steiner, Froebel, Isaacs etc etc as well as trying to define what play actually is!!! Oh the joys!!!! (Have I put you off yet Hali?? :oxD:) )

Seriously, I'm finding it all very interesting, and I got two merits in the first two modules (Independent learner and Child Development) so I'm doing ok at the mo.

And just one more thing... you are NEVER too old to start an FD. The eldest lady on my course must be at least mid 50s and she's really enjoying it.

Magpie

Hello Hali,

Best of luck with the Foundation Degree course. I'm sure you'll be fine, if I can do it anyone can. I'm in a similar position, pre-school supervisor and the nightmare of paper work, paper work, paper work, and everything else it entails. Family life, dog that needs to be taken for walks, well you get the idea. The house resembles a pit when the TMA is due though.

I'm studying through the O.U. and I've found the support system they have in place has been fantastic. I start my next course E124 next month. Half of me is sort of looking forward to it and the other half is apprehensive of it. Give it a go.

Angie

Guest doohanok5

I too would endorse the FDeg with the OU. It does take a good deal of time and effort and I would certainly find it difficult if I didn't have very supportive family and colleagues.

There are lots of different tutorial venues. Although you are allocated a venue where the tutorial will be run by your tutor, you are entitled to attend any other venue should it be easier for you. Also, these tutorials are not compulsory, and with the support of your tutor it is possible to complete a course without attending any tutorials (although, on the whole, I have found them to be helpful).

I know distance learning isn't everyone's cup of tea but, as Angie and Geraldine have said, the support you get from the OU, both from your tutor and other students, is Firstclass! :D

The tutorials for the OU are held at various locations around the UK so no you do not have to go to the university. Students are assigned a tutor who is there for support by email, tutor group conference site, telephone and in person at her tutorials. As an OU student you are given a region number which as the name implies, is dependant on where you live. I suppose its a case of logistics , how many students in which areas are studying which courses!

I have been fortunate in only having a 25 mile drive for my tutorials, others travel alot further and others dont attend them at all - they are not compulsory. I know of students who have passed courses and have told their tutor from the outset that they will not be able to attend tutorials. Assignments are sent and returned by post so no problem there.

Hope this helps.

Oh Magpie we had to look at other approaches and did Steiner, Montessori, Reggio Emilia, Schema and Te Whariki - fascinating stuff!! good luck with yours.

Thanks Geraldine for the good wishes. Now I know someone else has done a similar unit, may I pick your brains if I get stuck?? :o

Don't worry about time commitments, I work a 47 1/2 hour week, I'm a single mum with two pre-teenies who have a reasonably hectic social life, yet I still manage to put aside time enough to complete assignments. The tutors are very understanding of the work we actually do, and actually encourage us to have time out for ourselves (to avoid burn-out & drop out!!!). Take the plunge!!! :)

Magpie

• 2 years later...

hi there-im about to start the management of nursery provision foundation degree at liverpool uni which will be based on line-is anyone doing it at the mo or have any thoughts or advice? :)

That sounds a really interesting degree, it's the first time I've come across it - I'd love to know more! Are you doing it by distance learning then?

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the forum maz, your degree does sound interesting, I'm just starting an online degree so looks like a few of us are venturing into the unknown. :o

Your post has resurrected Hali's original request in 2005, it's been a nice way to see progress in action, knowing where hali is now in her studies, interesting too that this topic skipped a whole year from last post 2005 to most recent post 2007. :D

Peggy

• 1 month later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)