Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Resources In Year 1.

For those of you who have successfully initiated more play based learning in year 1, what are your most useful and necessary resources?

We have an opportunity to develop our practise but need to prioritise.

Thanks.

Obviously not exciting enough for anyone to help me with!

So, another question---I want a new sand tray, the one we have is small and grotty bu I dont have alot of room and I preferably want something that will not catch sand in the edge between the frame and the tray. Other than Community playthings, any ideas??

Do the clear trays scratch when used with sand?

My clear one scratched really badly and then cracked so I wouldn;t recommend that one at all. My advice would be to go for the biggest you can afford and accomodate. We have one that 8 children can play at comfortably and it is great. HAve no idea where it came from though.

As for other equipment, my children love play mobil, lego, trains, cars, playdough. The dolls house is popular with both girls and boys. I also have a lot of plastic insects which they love making dens for. I have lots of pieces of wood which they build with too. Nuts and bolts are great too. We have loads of 'mechanics' toys which go down well. In fact I haven;t found anything which they didn;t like playing with!

For those of you who have successfully initiated more play based learning in year 1, what are your most useful and necessary resources?

We have an opportunity to develop our practise but need to prioritise.

Thanks.

when I was in year one I worked hard to build up things with stong links to the topics, since we did fixed topics in year one. so I bought lots of old toys for our topic on toys, superhero capes and role play stuff. Role Play was where I spent a lot of money because the children could exend their learning so much through this area.

Also focussed on construction stuff linked to topic - lego, wooden blocks, knex - to build a house for the 3 bears/a bridge for the gingerbread man to cross the river.

Tuff spot and consumables for mixing and exploration etc.

I want a tuff spot tray but whether I'll get one remains to be seen!

My children absolutely love the dolls house and garage that we have (although the latter does tend to lead to some very noisy play by the boys in the class so I wouldn't recommend it that much if you're going to be doing focussed groups whilst they play). They also all love the selection of cheap masks that we have and dressing up hats, no need for entire costumes they put these on and let their imaginations run wild!

Finally I'd say invest in some really nice stuff for your writing area if you haven't already. Desk/paper tidies, miniture drawers, cheap but pretty notebooks/diaries/address books, envelopes, fancy pens and pencils. Since I got these my writing area has never been so popular and they encourage them to actually write rather than draw which a lot were doing before (not that drawing isn't valuable but it's nice for them to actually write instead!)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)