Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Are You In A Union?

Hi all

Last wek I was approached by deputy as a parnt had querid the fact that her on had gone home and tod her that I had told him off. Deputy had been asked to look into this! It turned out that the child in question was one that I also attended my old setting (he still attends my old and new setting!). Anyway on the day in question I was not even there. Further investigation found out it was the supervisor that had intervened with him over a behavioural issue. At first i felt under scrutiny for my practice and it then got me thinking. Hubby is a tacher and said that he has come across many issues of children saying this and that to parnts and hence he rcommended i should join a union....

what do you think?

I'd certainly be a member of a union - there are a few and it is imperative that you consider which one suits you (financially too as you do have to subscribe).

Unison is one of the larger ones which provides support, but don't forget you can always phone ACAS for advice and you can use their really informative website;

www.acas.org.uk

Best of luck :o Spiral

I am in UNISON

Many moons ago in my role as NNEB on a children's ward a child spoke to me as though I was a bit of dirt on his shoe...... I requested a please and thank you from him (standard good manners in my book) and his Mother told me he didn't have to say please when he was so ill!!!!!!

(Broken leg)

After that I joined up.

You never know who is going to think what about something you say!!!!

Unison are good when allegations are made and you need support.

I've recently joind the Voice, which was, I believe, previouslyknown as PANN (Professional Association of Nursery Nurses) and PAT (Professional Association of Teachers), costs me something like £7 a month. Its like insurance isn't it; something you hope never to use but glad you've got!!

Guest MaryEMac

I joined GMB when I worked as a midday supervisor at school and the subs were taken directly from my wages . When I left the school I transferred everything and pay around £7 per month. It's quite comforting to know that there will be someone standing in your corner if the need should arise.

Mary

After the last month or so i have had I could not agree more Maz, and i thought it was a whole lot more expensive than 7 pound a month

Dawn

My name is Maz and I am not in a union. After the year I've had, I think probably I should be. xD £7 a month sounds reasonable - why did I think it was more expensive? :o

Here's a link to the details for Aspect which has a special section for EYPs. Its an eight-page document, but it seems that they charge £10.75 a month if you work full time. They offer a discount for part-time workers.

Maz

I've never thought that we'd need it working in a playgroup!

Neither did I until I had a tricky situation with a parent and thought I might need some good legal advice. Seems that lots of people in pre-schools are joining up - its on my to do list.

Maz

If you are committee led I'd strongly reccomend it - you never know what is round the corner and the 'employer' is the committee - who are after all usually kind parents who offer their time to help out, however, they may be just as confused about the law as you are!

£7.00 well spent for peace of mind,

Spiral

We have our insurance through the Pre-school Learning Alliance and they give you a helpline to LAWCALL - would that not be sufficent?

Not if you're a member of staff - as a friend of mine found when she needed their help most. :o Lawcall will only talk to the committee or owner of the group.

Maz

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, im manager and owner of small pre-school and staff have joined union without really telling me, just found out by them letting it slip in conversation, do they have to? I have had to cut their hours down due to recession and followed advice from ACAS as to what to do and how to do it, i think this has triggered off the joining union, but what are benefits of joining union? sorry to sound dumb but never been in this postition before.

Thank you for your time

• 2 weeks later...

I fell that it is absolutely essential to belong to a union, it's like career insurance!. I can vouch that the NUT are well worth their fee if you ever need them.

Hi everyone,

I work in a school employed as a nursery nurse. I would recommend joining one of the big unions, I am in Unison.

Fees are roughly between £7-£9 per month depending on your earnings I think :o

I am currently involved in a local union working group to pass on information regarding the new 'National Framework for all support staff in schools'. This may involve changes to terms and conditions for school support staff nationally. I cannot stress enough how important it is to be in a union, especially during this time of change.

Only the three big unions have a say/voting rights in any decisions put forward. These are Unison, GMB and Unite.

I am in the TGWU and pay £4.64 per month

Have been a member many years . I have never used them, but feel a lot safer belonging

Also employers think twice befor trying to "do anything to you" if they know you are part of a union Any one remember the song,You cant touch me Im part of the union

Maybe not I am very old !

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)