Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

For Those Of You Who Have Parent Help....

Do you let them prepare snack?

If no because of food safety.......

As only one member of staff needs to have a food hygiene certificate per setting because they report back to the other staff how to handle food correctly. Surely if you inform parent helpers how to prepare food correctly and practice good hygiene skills it is the same?

Am writing this in a hurry so apologies for poor grammar.

ppp

:o are you from my setting ? !! im not sure what the answer is -but i will watch with interest as this is similar to an issue we have. in my opinion i would much rather have a duty parent in the kitchen cutting up the fruit and keep the trained experienced members of staff in the room with the children xD

I think that as long as they are "told" how to do it and you have reminder messages displayed, "dont forget to wash your hands" and "what board to use" etc then this should be ok. I agree I would rather have the parent helper doing those kind of jobs/tasks.

Always have parents preparing snack but there is only so much you can say about preparing a banana or apple correctly!! We usually give them the correct boards/utensils and show where to wash hands. We only ever give a small snack and it is generally prepared at the table as the children require it.

I used to have the children prepare their own snacks, from making toast to cutting fruit and vegetables. :(

Peggy

p.s. and they used to wash my car :o (great fun xD )

pps I say used to because I closed my preschool in 2007, if I still had it I would do the same now, enable the children to learn these skills

I used to have the children prepare their own snacks, from making toast to cutting fruit and vegetables. :(

Peggy

p.s. and they used to wash my car :o (great fun xD )

pps I say used to because I closed my preschool in 2007, if I still had it I would do the same now, enable the children to learn these skills

that made me chuckle !! :(

Our parents used to, but we had to stop it when our Advisor from Early years visited us and saw it, she told us it was a definate no, no!

If we are really lucky the parents will do the washing up for us, but now they don't go onto the kitchen to do the snacks they don't always ask and this takes for ever!

We have started to use the online food hygiene programme that I've banged on about ad nauseum on this site (sorry!). One of the reasons we got it was that it covers our whole site, including any parent helpers so I intend to ask them to complete it and then they can help out when they come in to help us out. As you say snack prep is one of the best things they can help with as it can be time consuming and more than a little annoying if a trained staff member has to be in the kitchen when they could be better employed in the room. For the site it costs us £50 ish which is a bargain anyway as locally we have to pay a lot more per person to train in food hygiene. The fact parents can also access it for us just adds to its bargainousness.

Sure. The company is called LearnHQ. If you google it or do a forum search you should find more information. There are other companies around offering the same kind of training, and I have had the course content checked out by the Food Safety team at our local authority. They were happy it covered everything we needed for the purposes of providing snacks, and we were very happy with the costs. I feel I have talked about it so much you must all feel I have shares in them (I don't!). Hope it helps you.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)