Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tortoise Ideas

Does anyone have any good ideas linked to tortoises? I am in a Rec/Y1 class and we are learning about animal homes at the moment. I am going to take my friend's tortoise in on Monday, and could do with some good ideas for activities linked to this. We had Ofsted this week and my brain is not functioning any more!! My TA suggested creating tortoises using egg boxes etc, and I am going to read 'The Hare and the Tortoise' and maybe act it out. We have also got a vet's role play area. Any other ideas from you clever people out there?

Tortoises come from rocky dry bits of the world so what about rocks and sand etc in a tuff spot.

Tortoises have a beak so what about what other creatures have a beak?

Tortoises hybernate, who else does?

(I have a tortoise called Horace!)

There's a story called Ridiculous, its about a tortoise who does not want to hibernate and comes out when it has snowed and has lots of little adventures until he finally gets home sliding down a hill on his shell.

What about the patterns on a tortoise shell - they look a little like those concentric circle paintings that Geraldine was showing in a thread last night from a Kandinsky painting (you could tell them that each shell is unique - just like their finger prints and do some finger painting/printing.

Giant tortoises - how old, how big

physical/creative play - being a tortoise - find some very slow music for the children

Edited by Panders

Hi

I used the book Ridiculous! by Michael Coleman. It's a light-hearted story about hibernation. I used it to introduce our forces topic. I was lucky has it snowed the week we did it & went outside after the story to play in the snow.

Hope that's of help.

Nicky

Thanks everyone, lots of lovely ideas, fantastic!! Especially like the idea of looking at the concentric circles as we were looking at patterns on leaves last week. Also hibernating as this links into Autumn nicely. Moving slowly/quickly would be good too - we could have lots of fun outside with this! I love this forum!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)