Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nursery And Assembly

Our Nursery children just go to 'Special' whole school assemblies that we know will be visual, fun and not too LONG ! Unfortunately our Reception have to go to ALL assemblies... I only wish an awareness of visual, auditory and kinesthetic learning styles was applied in some of the assemblies (especially by our Head) as we do in all other lessons ! AAAaaaaahhhhhhh!

Galleon :o

Our Foundation Stage children go to 1 whole school assembly by the Head every week. Children that have just started nursery struggle to sit through and the head will complain to me, as if it is my fault, if children have been restless. She insists that the whole school is there because SHE likes to see them all together. The children also attend a FS and KS1 assembly ie infant assembly which is usally good. 2 Foundation stage assemblies which they enjoy and 1 class assembly a week inwhich the children perform.

I think the class assemblies, FS assemblies are great for the children, FS & KS1 are ok and Whole school is not appropriate for them because its not visual or kinesthetic.

Hi iom,

Our afternoon Nursery class of 30 attends the KS1 + Foundation weekly assembly which lasts for about 15 minutes and usually consists of praise and awards for children from each class and/or a short story with a moral. The morning children don't attend an assembly at all, the only downside of this is that they find it a bit strange for a while when they start school - but they don't have a problem with sitting quietly through it all. In fact they manage a lot better than many of the Y6 children. Our Reception class attends 3 assemblies a week (including the KS assembly).

When the Foundation Stage was introduced we took the opportunity to withdraw from daily assemblies on the grounds that it was not appropriate and impeded the flexibility of the timetable. Staff attendance at assembly used to be compulsory but now the new Head is using assembly time to give non-contact time to as many teachers as he can. But of course if Foundation children don't attend the assembly their teachers don't get the non-contact time.

Our new Nursery children attended their first assembly today and managed the whole thing very well, considering. By the end of the year most of them are able to sit quetly and attentively for special gatherings like the animal man visit (1 hour+), visiting musicians (45 mins +) Theatre groups etc.

My Nursery class often go into assembly on a Friday morning when it is "class assembly", ie a class in the school takes the assembly usually involving singing, acting, "performing". We tend to go to the ones that are done by KS1 rather than KS2 as the content is usally more relevant. The children love to spot their older brothers and sisters in the hall, and also parents are invited to the assembly if their child is involved.

We sit the Nursery children at the back of the hall on chairs (the rest of the school are sat on the floor). This way they can all see really well and are not too worried about the action taking place right in front of their noses, which would happen if they were sat in the front row. They seem to sit better on chairs anyway - of course they're more comfortable.

They all always sit absolutely mesmorized and thoroughly enjoy the experience. They always want to talk about it afterwards. I do think it's a good way of introducing them to assembly and "the big hall" .

Jackie

:oxD

I just found a picture that I like using google image search (you can type in book titles to find favourite characters.) Then I right-click on the image which gives you the option to save it. You can then insert it as your avatar.

Jackie

:o:D

We are off site so it is difficult for us to go but we are not disappointed. But when we do go we also sit at the back I don't think the little ones like having people sitting behind them or they want to see what is going on behind them all the time and miss the interesting things in front of them. We only go to Key Stage 1 assembly I created quite a stir by suggesting we sat in a circle facing each other. We usually join in by singing a song, I choose something I know all the children will know so they can help up.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)