Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How Many Scale Points Are Children Supposed To Progress?

Hi

Just had a discussion with my assessment co-ordinator about the progress children are supposed to make during their time in Foundation.

I am sure that I read somewhere that we are supposed to aim for children to progress 3 scale points, is this right?

And does this mean 3 points in CLLD, or 3 points per strand of CLLD?

Yes I agree with you but I still thought that somewhere it states that we should be aiming for children to achieve 3 more points than on entry. So if they come in with CLLD LS&L 3, by the time they leave they should have 6?

Am I wrong?

My assessment coordinator is wanting to make a whole school target relevant for FS so therefore really needs to know this information.

I was trying to explain this to several parents last night at parent's evenings. I was saying that we hope children fall between 1-3 points across the areas of learning when they start reception, so the first half term is for us to see where the children are, or at least what we have seen evidence of already. Then we explain to the parents that we hope the child will move on about 4 points from where they start by the end of reception. We talk about how the child will develop in some areas quicker than others and that this is NORMAL!! A lot of the parents want to know where their child 'fits in' compared to other children, and what they are supposed to achieve by the end of reception, and I tend to dismiss this quite quickly. Instead I reinforce that the child's progress should be relative to their own starting point.

I find it very difficult when cosultants, SIPs, whoever, says that they children should all be at a certain level by the end of FS. I firmly believe that we can't generalise and so long as the children have made RELEVANT progress then everyone should be pleased!

:o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)