Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Qualifications Needed To Runan After School Club

Guest tinkerbell

Guest tinkerbell

Hi everyone

I once saw on the internet a qualification grid that showed equivelence qualifications and I cannot find it again,can anyone help?

The reason being a couple of years ago I was not qualified to help out at our afterschool club (I have a B'Ed)Ofsted said I needed a playworker qualification.I find this unbelievable especially as I am the performance manager for the afterschool workers.The leader has an NVQ2 and is working towards her level 3 (Ofsted know about this)

I think that things have changed recently and HLTA's may even be qualified ?

Thank you

Tinkerbell

My friend ran an out of school club on an NVQ 3. I've worked very short periods in oe too along with a L3, I did query it as some of the children were over 8 but was told it was fine.

I'm an EYP and I was recently surprised to learn that any level 3 childcare qualifcation is fine to run an after school club. In fact, sometimes, early years is preferred because of the knowledge of the EYFS.

• 5 months later...
Guest jenpercy
I'm an EYP and I was recently surprised to learn that any level 3 childcare qualifcation is fine to run an after school club. In fact, sometimes, early years is preferred because of the knowledge of the EYFS.

But early years workers sdometimes struggle with appropriate response to (demanding) older children. This puts us in a quandry as we have to take any Level 3 who is still breathing over less qualified but more experienced, often older candidate

if you get someone who is EYFS trained to level 3 on the understanding that they then go on to undertake playwork training . our local partnership offer different playwork units that you can pick and choose from if you complete them all they then become your full playwork qualification. perhaps you should look around for whats available in your area.

sue

Edited by suewhit

• 3 months later...

I have a Level 3 DPP and a Foundation Degree but have just had to do the Level 3 in Playwork for childcare workers it involves a top up of two units so that I can run our after school club.

I have to admit I really enjoyed learning about Bob Hughes and his play types and it has influenced my work in pre-school with regard to rough and tumble play and deep play.

I have a Level 3 DPP and a Foundation Degree but have just had to do the Level 3 in Playwork for childcare workers it involves a top up of two units so that I can run our after school club.

I have to admit I really enjoyed learning about Bob Hughes and his play types and it has influenced my work in pre-school with regard to rough and tumble play and deep play.

Hi

you might get the information you are looking for on cwdc (childrens workforce development council) site.

Guest jenpercy

this is good practice - but not necessary as the DPP is acceptable to

OFSTED - who are only interested in EYFS

this is good practice - but not necessary as the DPP is acceptable to

OFSTED - who are only interested in EYFS

Not according to our local playwork association but I am aware that different areas of the country have different guidelines, but even if it was I would not feel I was meeting the needs of the older children, the playwork course has enabled me to widen my experience of play types. :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)