Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Self Initiated Writing-observation By Ht!

Hi :o

Next week i am being observed by the HT and she wants to see the children involved in a self initiated writing session.

I was thinking of starting with a story to inspire and excite them and then provide a range of equipment for writing, such as, whiteboards, felt tips, coloured paper, clipboards, crayons etc as well as threading and tweezer games, and something fun in the tuff spot with the magnetic letters (maybe a treasure hunt for letters and they need to write down the letters they find)

Do you think this would be acceptable or is it a little too directed?

Many thanks!!

Ive had groups of children who have failed to access the writing resources as a self initiated activity! I think you probably need to start promoting that area of your provision if you dont already! Children often like to make books or can you get your role play area onside, so to speak as that might encourage self initiated writing!?

Good luck.

A good way to ensure children put pen to paper is to get them to write a recipe, only catch is it must be done before the practical.

Last week I put discovery bottle making stuff in the tuff spot with clipboards (we made teacher guided bottles the previous week). All the children wanted to make a discovery bottle but they had to write what ingredients they wanted to use first and then make it. I have also done this with potions, remedies for teddy bear hospital, salt dough and sure enough everyone wants to write a recipe!

Hey

The other thing i've been doing is writing a little card or putting a letter into the children's trays and then leaving blank cards and letter templates out so the children can write letters and cards back and pop them into the post box!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)