Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Assembly! Argh!

Just wondering if anyone could help. I am an NQT teaching reception and as of now I haven't had to do assemblies. Our head has decided that for the infant assemblies each week he would like an infant class to conduct them based on what we are doing in RE (Catholic School). I have never done an assembly before and was wondering if anyone had any pointers. I have 28 children in my class and would like to include them all in the assembly. Our topic is journeys and so far we have discussed journeys we make, made a 'Our Journeys by foot' class book. We are going on a journey to the shops this week and will take photos which we could project on to a whiteboard as we have this available. What I need is content or any simple songs about journeys we could learn for a week on Thursday. Sorry to ramble on xD Any help would be grately appreciated as I don't want to look a fool infront of infant department!! :D:o

Does it have to have an obvious religious element? Maybe you could start off just mentioning that long ago Mary and Joseph made the journey to Bethlehem and your class have been looking at different types of journeys.Perhaps share your book of journeys with your audience? Perhaps some children could read/say a line or two each about one of the journeys you made? Just wondered if you could relate "All things bright and beautiful" Maybe you saw dogs and cats en route (all creatures great and small) some flowers by the roadside? (each little flower that opens) birds that sing etc etc. Maybe you could have children with flowers/birds etc to show/wave as you sing, it could be at the end thanking God for everything you saw on your journey?

Sorry not exactly great :o

Think about the journey of life - from a child to an adult . In tinderbox (A C Black) there is a song called "slowly walks my grandad" and the three verses compare how grandad/mum/the child walk along the road. You could think about how exciting life is and we don't know what is going to happen tomorrow so each day is a journey with new things to see/do etc.

Equally in Tinderbox there is a song called "the world is big, the world is small" which gives different ways we travel around it, including travelling ariound the world in dance/song/games/names. If you work in a very multicultural area (or even f you don't) you could do something based on where the children come from or what children in other countries play with/eat/do etc.

Of course there's always the wheels on the bus!!!

Thanks for the ideas I will deffo look into the songs further, the head will like the idea of thanking God for everything that we saw on our journey at the end and I like the idea of discussing the journey of life thanks as always for your great ideas. :D

Go to Culham College's excellent website - there are a wide rang eof 'ready to use worships' and also rapid response worships for world / national events - very useful site and it should put you in touch with lots more

www.culham.ac.uk

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)