Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Head Lice

Hiya peeps

I have a case of head lice at nursery and was wondering what happens next, as I keep reading conflicting reports as to whether to send a letter home informing parents, or simply hand out the leaflets and put up a poster stating the fact that we have a child in nurser with lice - please could someone tell me what is right ??

Thanks guys

Nat74

well at school we have just sent out letters to everyone to imform them that there is a problem and that they need to check and treat if necessary.

I don't know about informing the parents directly of the child with headlice, i don't think we have done this, although not sure it would mean they would be treated anyway!

x

Hi we have had 1 case this term.

We informed mum and asked her to treat the whole family, and made her aware that it is our policy that we send out a note to all parents informing there has been a child with nits in the setting and to check their child's hair - of course at all times maintaining confidentiality.

• 3 months later...
we tell the parent/s of the child affected, then put out a noticeboard asking parents to check their children as we have had a case reported.

we have a child with a severe case of headlice and nits tried sending letters tried asking parents for an informal chat and then a formal appointment to discuss all our concerns with child as her hygiene is a concern and we hae dedvelopmental concerns too but still child is riddled with crawlers and eggs help?

at some point doesn't this surely become a matter of neglect?? xD

the expression to feel lousey (phonic) derives from how rotten you feel if you have lice - lowce hence to feel lowcey - if that makes sense!! :o

Imagine having it all the time with no relief from itchiness!!

More useful information that my useless fact above - - lice treatments and combs are available on prescription and hence free for children and also some health visitors can issue a prescription without consulting a doctor...

Good luck!

at some point doesn't this surely become a matter of neglect?? :(

the expression to feel lousey (phonic) derives from how rotten you feel if you have lice - lowce hence to feel lowcey - if that makes sense!! :o

Imagine having it all the time with no relief from itchiness!!

More useful information that my useless fact above - - lice treatments and combs are available on prescription and hence free for children and also some health visitors can issue a prescription without consulting a doctor...

Good luck!

yes this is my concern.......child has autistic older brother a brother and 3 sisters mum and dad and animals. would a caf be su xD itable?

We do the same as most others i.e. general letter to everyone but a quiet word with the parents of the child concerned.

piccolo - a CAF was the first thing I thought of when you said how much you've already tried. I know that a lot of agencies don't like to take the lead on them but at the end of the day you may be perfectly placed to step in now and get some help for this family before things spiral downwards to a potential CP issue.

RR

we do the same, quiet word with parent of child concerned and general letter to all families. however, I was told last week by colleagues from a variety of other settings that they are not allowed to speak to the parent concerned except in very vague terms e.g. 'you may want to check her hair, as she has been scratching a lot today', even if they saw live moving lice.

A

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)