Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Small World Play

Have been given some money by my headteacher to buy some small world play toys/equipment. I would really love some building with extras as we have a dolls house and a pintoy fire station both of which are very popular! I am hoping that I can begin to rotate our resources rather than always having these 2 out. Any ideas?

We set up some 'media boxes' recently to hold small world playsets of favourite tv characters. In the Peppa Pig box we have books, puzzles, the peppa Pig playground and train set. We have one for Fifi, Roary, Postman Pat and Fireman Sam.....oh and Noddy.

Our children love them and just fetch a box down whenever they want. There's a photograph of the contents stuck to the front of the box for easy identification. It also helps when tidying up to know where all the little bits go.

Evening,

We have just bought loads of stuff from Imaginext by Fisher Price - there is a fire station, pirate ship, space rocket and lots more. The children love it, and if you buy the main piece, for example I got the fire station, you can then buy the extra bits to go with it that the children earn by sharing or being kind etc, so this week they earnt the police car, and amulance sets. It looks great together, I put it in the tuff spot and its used all the time. I would really recommend it.

Nicky

Evening,

We have just bought loads of stuff from Imaginext by Fisher Price - there is a fire station, pirate ship, space rocket and lots more. The children love it, and if you buy the main piece, for example I got the fire station, you can then buy the extra bits to go with it that the children earn by sharing or being kind etc, so this week they earnt the police car, and amulance sets. It looks great together, I put it in the tuff spot and its used all the time. I would really recommend it.

Nicky

THanks for that- I've had a look on the website It looks really good- is it very plastic like? If you know what I mean!

THanks for that- I've had a look on the website It looks really good- is it very plastic like? If you know what I mean!

No - not at all, but that's my opinion! I have a class of 14, with 11 boys and they haven't managed to destroy it yet! It has lots of little interactive bits, that they are still finding out about, all of a sudden they will push a button and something happens!! I really like it but perhaps others out there could give you their opinions.

Good Luck!

Nicky

A pirate ship or a castle with knights etc. Our boys love these and engage for ages and the girls like them too. We put in bits like little boxes with "jewels" and use cloths for the sea and an island.

Linda

• 3 months later...

Hi we use happyland from early learning. We bought second hand bundles from ebay and got loads for the money.

We also pick things up from carboot got a lovely igloo this week :) xx

Does anyone know where I can purchase some small world people that are suitable for a year one class?

We attempted to make our own, but they were so scary looking, and gave me nightmares - never mind the children!!

:D

Hi ktcooney and welcome to the forum.

I use Happyland from ELC too although it is for childminding rather than a group setting. The layouts are very easy for the children to create and I love that the size of it makes it suitable for a few children to play with at once.

The train we have is activated by dropping the driver into the top of the cab which is so much better than fiddly little switches.

It also seems quite durable. Some of ours is ten years old and still as good as new.

Hi ktcooney and welcome to the forum.

I use Happyland from ELC too although it is for childminding rather than a group setting. The layouts are very easy for the children to create and I love that the size of it makes it suitable for a few children to play with at once.

The train we have is activated by dropping the driver into the top of the cab which is so much better than fiddly little switches.

It also seems quite durable. Some of ours is ten years old and still as good as new.

Happyland is my favourite for home, although I am not sure how well it holds up to heavy use. We have most of it at home! I think it is for the children and not me!

Does anyone know of anywhere to get woodlan creatures from - tried ELC to no avail! You'd think they would have them!!!

H

I'm sure I saw some in the TTS catalogue.

Also there is a beautiful range by a company called Schleich. I've seen them in some ELCs and The Entertainer in the bullring in Birmingham. The are pricey but just sooooo beautiful. I just googled them to check the company name and it reminded me how gorgeous they are. They do a huge range - pets, farm, woodland, african, even elves and fairies if that's the type of woodland creatures you meant!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)