Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Lunchtimes!

Just wondering how things run in other FSUnits at lunch. We have 64 children who stay for dinner. We take them over to the main canteen at 12 O'clock and then the LOs bring them back over about 12.25. They then play out until 1oclock There are 3 LOs but they have complained that this is not enough. I agree that its a difficult job-one LO often has to be attending to children who have had accidents which leaves just 2 supervising outside which can be a nightmare! :o The only other solution was going to be to bring my 32 reception children over to play with the rest of the school which would have been even worse coz I don't think they're ready for it yet (whole school plays out together-up to year6) They still would have had to bring one of the LOs over with them so it wouldn't have made a jot of difference ratio wise. We then found out that its 1;15 Nursery, 1:30 reception anyway so for the moment have stuck with things the way they are. Another thing-they brush their teeth! Does any one else? Its about getting the flouride into them! Dinner ladies (oops-LOs I mean) have now refused to do this (takes up too much of our teaching time if I do it with them after dinner though xD ) so the dentist won't be happy when she comes in!

Hi Zim,

Our children do play outside with the rest of the school at lunchtime. Not sure whether this is appropriate, but most have older siblings who they love to play with. Around 45 stay in school with 2 LOs. They collect them at 12.00 and return them at 1.15. Wet lunchtimes though are the biggest headache! Our LOs haven't had a great deal of training and don't really know what to do with them, so they end up sat on the carpet for the whole session!! Nightmare in the afternoons!!

Never heard of cleaning teeth in school! Our water is flouridated anyway, and too much fluoride can cause the adult teeth to be grey, so I would be a little worried about them swallowing too much toothpaste - in our area that is.

When our local dental health care worker came and gave our staff a talk about oral hygiene she said you should not clean teeth until at least 30 minutes after eating as it casues more harm than good. Apparently the enamel is vulnerable if you brush teeth to soon after eating - same applies to night time brushing.

Think the ratio is 1-30 at lunch for reception-we have 66 out there with 3 LOs.(33 of each N and R) So we're 6 over but we've got no chance of being funded an extra adult for the extra 6 :o

The dentist asked us to brush teeth with chn. Our water doesn't have flouride in it-should have really as would save us the worry of teeth! Interesting about the not brushing for 30 mins after eating. Haven't done them for narly 2 weeks now as LOs weren't happy with it as it was taking ages (we did it quicker but chn play up for LOs more) so I should go back to finding another time in the day to do it but haven't managed to (the only time I could do it was the slot just before dinner which the dentist said was fine as the idea was to get the flouride so it didn't matter when but it was sending a weird messsage out to the children I thought! xD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)